Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never thought I'd end up in a 4x4 vehicle but here I am. I come from the low to the ground sporty cars... Abarths, Miatas, etc..

Gotta say though, I'm enjoying my time with the Trooper. It's a 1991 with the 2.8 v6, 5 speed. It squeaks everywhere, the radio doesn't work, the brake lights don't function quite right, and it's got some rust here and there, but I do love it. Happy to be here. I'm sure I'll have questions to ask in the future because I'm diving head first into unknown territory with this car lol

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
512 Posts
Welcome. I come from the same background as you. Turbo Miata, swapped MR2, BRZ, etc. My pickup was my first 4x4, I had to have the seller explain to me how manual hubs even work. I just kind of read a bunch of people's build threads on here and soaked up as much information as I could.

I love it. It's opened up so many adventures that I would have never gone on. So many mods can be done cheap too, at the expense of labor of course.

Nice trooper by the way, those tires look pretty fresh. Any long term plans/goals for it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know I'm not alone in being a newbie to all this! I definitely was a little embarrassed admitting I was buying the car and saying I had no clue how to even operate the fun parts haha.

As for plans, I'm going to give it a tune up and a good cleaning. I have no idea about the history on it so I want it to be as fresh as possible for the internals. Gives me at least a little peace of mind. Aside from that, I want to try to modernize it by adding in some LEDs for the interior, better exterior lighting, a working radio.. I want to fix all the little issues too just to make it nicer to drive around. Especially since before I even bought it, my wife decided we're getting a rooftop tent for it. I want it to be a little more comfortable for her. She's my daily driver now. I have no plans to get rid of it. Which means my wife has no choice but to learn manual if she wants to drive the fun cars.

Enemigo, I'm a Georgia boy but I'd say far from what you'd call country haha. I'm around the Lake Lanier area. I picked it up from a guy outside of Cleveland, GA.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm about two hours north of you in the Chattanooga area. You are very close to JLEMOND who is an excellent resource for OEM parts. I have a collection of 1st gen Troopers so if you ever needs parts or a hand let me know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, so far I'm feeling welcomed. I have posted before on other forums and had my intelligence questioned more than anything else. Glad to know I'm close to this JLEMOND fella. I've seen his name around here a few times while lurking around. Will absolutely be an invaluable resource.

I was just in Chattanooga for the holiday season! Such a beautiful area. I was almost convinced to move there but the beaches in FL keep calling my name. Maybe one day when I can finally tolerate cold winters... But until then, I think I'll keep those Florida beaches at the front of the line haha.

Appreciate you offering to help! I'm sure I'll need it since I can't say I know much about these cars. I'm mechanically inclined enough to get me into trouble. Whether that's good trouble or bad trouble has yet to be seen.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wow, so far I'm feeling welcomed. I have posted before on other forums and had my intelligence questioned more than anything else. Glad to know I'm close to this JLEMOND fella. I've seen his name around here a few times while lurking around. Will absolutely be an invaluable resource.

I was just in Chattanooga for the holiday season! Such a beautiful area. I was almost convinced to move there but the beaches in FL keep calling my name. Maybe one day when I can finally tolerate cold winters... But until then, I think I'll keep those Florida beaches at the front of the line haha.

Appreciate you offering to help! I'm sure I'll need it since I can't say I know much about these cars. I'm mechanically inclined enough to get me into trouble. Whether that's good trouble or bad trouble has yet to be seen.
I get it. Good luck and enjoy the Trooper. Just reach out if you ever need anything... Isuzus treat you well if you treat them well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts