Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Im doing a engine swap in my amigo and we have come upon a problem.

we adjusted the valve lash in the firing order as said in other forums and
some of the rocker nuts just seem way to loose like you can loosen them
by finger but the lash is perfect. not sure if rocker nuts can go bad or not
but here is the info on the motor...

Ford 302

Block/ 1974
heads/ 1986

hydraulic lifters/cam non roller

Not current pic but my style of rockers [/img]

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Replace the nuts, or use polylocks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Unless those are aftermarket rockers, ford stuff just torques down. No adjustment to them. Does it all with pushrod length. You can get the what I refer to as "chevy" style rockers and the use the good locking adjuster nuts.
Just for reference, adjusting valves is easy.In my experience it works on everything, ICE,... Intake closes do exhaust, exhaust opens do intake, then firing order dont even matter. That is how we did it on the Fuel motors. You prob are the 15426378 though, late model is the 13726548.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply..

Iv seen vids on the net about setting lash then half turn and that's how we did the rockers.. but like i said they feel to loose. i can see how they would
be torqued so when the motor is running with oil on the rockers the little dish under the nut allows the rocker to swivel when torqued...

kinda confusing so little info on the net for this situation :x

Thanks austin

·
Registered
348 Posts
So do you for sure have the aftermarket style "adjustable" rockers? If so what kind of nuts are on them now? What cam is in there anyway?
You are correct about the zero lash then half turn part. All that is going on is there is like this "shock" looking sort of hydraulic part in the top of the lifter and you are trying to preload it so as it is keeping tension on the pushrod and all. Not really super high tech stuff, just need to have the right parts and most importantly the correct length pushrods.
As deckheight and all changes with different heads and gaskets and such the distance from the cam centerline to the pivot of the rocker changes. Just check it all out real good and don't wipe out your camshaft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There stock rockers. The Cam is stock The one that came In the rebuild kit. Yeah its preloading the plunger in the lifter The pushrods are brand new and The valve tip wear looks just like this after zero lash and half turn.

You said that ford stuff just torques down but if i do zero lash and half turn do i leave it like that? sorry just really confused?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
ga trooper said:
Unless those are aftermarket rockers, ford stuff just torques down. No adjustment to them.
On the 88+ stuff with the hydraulic lash adjuster on the rocker, maybe... older stuff should still be lashed the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What I mean is that there is no "zero lash" then increment of turning. You literally tighten the nut on the rocker down to specified torque. Something like 25 ft pounds or something. Basically 3/8 drive ratchet tight.
I am not familiar with any small block ford with stock parts of any year or anything that did otherwise. My 87 351W and my 93 302 in my old crown vic, and my 74 400M in my old F150 all adjusted the same way. All had essentially no adjustment. There are many other aftermarket variations though.
With all the stock parts you are using, the cam is not got enough lift and duration therefore not enough rpm to really get funny valvetrain stuff going on. Would not be too concerned with the tip marks and stuff you showed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.