Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..thinking of installing a remote start for the missus in her 00 Passport. Does anyone have any opinions on this..I'd like to do it myself and I'm pretty handy with electronics so I'm confident. Any troubles I could run into? Any brands to shoot for or stay away from. Thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
If you want to do away with the stock alarm for good, you can use most of its wires with your new alarm.
Just simply cut the connector for the stock alarm and use the wires you need. I can send you a pin out if you want.

I went with a Code Alarm/Audiovox unit. Got a great deal on it via eBay. I like that the remote has a LCD so you can see what triggers your alarm.
I also heard that clifford makes a good unit. It all depends on what you want in a remote start.
If you simply just want remote start and lock/unlock the doors, it will be an easy install.

Installing wasn't too bad. I did mine in the parking lot of my old apartment when it was 40F ish out.
Had an extension cord hanging out of my second floor window for my soldering iron. :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't aware that it had an alarm..it doesn't have a key fob..at least it didn't come with one..we bought it used..

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
See if there is a small alarm speaker on the Right side engine compartment close to the ABS brake assembly. If you have speaker, look behind the glove box for the Keyless Entry-Anti-Theft module. There is a very high probability you have factory system installed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm installing a new remote start/alarm system in my 98 Isuzu Passport … I'm having a hard time with it though. I can't find a good door trigger wire (dome light wire) the one I found in the driver's side kick panel (red wire with green stripe) only shows a positive 12 volt signal when the door is closed and the dome light switch is in the middle setting. When the door is open it goes to 2 volts.
That is the main thing I'm hung up on. I have not been able to find a good diagram of the wiring with descriptions on how to find all the wiring for the keyless entry and factory alarm.
Should I completely cut out the factory alarm or integrate it with my new system.
The system I'm installing is an Avital 5303.
Any insight would be helpful , thanks

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
The dome lamp, luggage compartment lamp and courtesy lamps are powered all time. When a door is opened the door switch grounds the return side of the lamp and the circuit is complete. That is why the point your monitoring is going from +12 VDC to +2 VDC when you open the door, it would go to zero VDC but the ground connection is not that good. Your alarm system is designed to use this configuration (0 VDC on Open), the signal is called (-) door trigger input zone 3. If the vehicle used +12 on Open you would use the (+) door trigger input zone 3 Refer to page 16 and 17 of the installation manual.

I would not recommend ripping out the existing system unless you have a schematic available to see what operates what or you could create a situation where you disable the starting circuit.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
The door switch is using the body sheet metal as the return path back to the battery. There are a few ground straps between that point and the negative side of the battery, so there is some resistance in the circuit. I am sure your alarm system does not expect a zero value as the low level input, probably less than 5 VDC for a low level input or greater than 5 VDC for a high level input.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
If I were to do it again I would just cut the connector for the stock alarm and use whatever wiring I can.
However.. it wont start because of the starter/fuel kill, but there is a way around that. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts