Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My trooper seems to have problems going up hills. If you give it gas it does not speed up at all. basicly I can floor it and it still slows down. I know this can not be normal. Once it gets over the hill everything seems fine. I have recently replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. I have not checked the plugs for fouling yet. Any other ideas.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
What size tire are you running? If you are a five speed you need to gear down. I ran around in an 88 Trooper with 33's and it was livable but I really should have regeared.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
This is definitely not something that you want to hear, but it is POSSIBLE that a Blown Head Gasket -or- a Cracked Head can result in a substantial loss of power when going up a hill, while otherwise still allowing the vehicle to perform somewhat normally when its not under load.

It is certainly something worth checking â€" if only to eliminate it as the source of the problem.

Best of luck on sorting it out.

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigpoppax2 said:
What size tire are you running?
I am running 31x10.5x15 on snowflakes with a 5 speed.

Smiley said:
This is definitely not something that you want to hear, but it is POSSIBLE that a Blown Head Gasket -or- a Cracked Head can result in a substantial loss of power when going up a hill, while otherwise still allowing the vehicle to perform somewhat normally when its not under load.
I am not blowing any smoke and my oil/coolant levels are stable so I do not think that I have a blown head gasket. Are there any other things that I can check to make sure that it is not my problem?

How can I check if my cat is clogged? I was reading in other posts that it might be the problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry to have to tell you this, but these troopers just arent designed to be high horse monsters. I think everyone that has one could use a few more horses. Want to make it up that hill easier? Get going fast before you get to it, so you have more momentum.

Im running pretty much the exact same rig as yours, maybe a few more horses, so i know from experience exactly how gutless they are. Its just the nature of our beasts.

Oh, and I havent heard of too many 2.8l heads cracking, i mean its always possible, but i wouldnt be as worried about it as if i had a 2.6l.

I would go ahead and change the fuel filter, run some fuel injector cleaner (like sea foam, STP, etc) and get the timing checked by your mechanic. Mine was off about 3 degrees and it made a fantastic improvement after i had it fixed.
Sorry i cant give you any better advice, but i hope this helps anyway.
-J :wink:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I was kind of afraid of that. I already changed the fuel filter. I will try the fuel system cleaner and see how that does. What kind of milage do you get? How does that flowmaster sound? Did it help out any?
I am thinking about getting a high flow cat and the dynomax turbo mufler
to try and free up some power.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The flowmaster sounds damn good, if i do say so myself...didnt help much at first, but once it got broken in, and once i got the other systems tuned in, it has a huge improvement over stock.

I also flipped the lid on my air cleaner, and aside from adding more noise, it didnt do much.

I plan on getting a new holly TBI with a 1 inch spacer, k&n air filter, new cam, and new pulleys next summer, or whenever, and im hoping that that should bump me up 10-15 horses.

Im getting somewhere around 12-14 mpg right now....the lift doesnt help, niether do the larger than stock tires, or the extra 150 pounds of steel i have bolted to the truck.
-J :wink:

·
Registered
546 Posts
spinixguy said:
yeah, I was kind of afraid of that. I already changed the fuel filter. I will try the fuel system cleaner and see how that does. What kind of milage do you get? How does that flowmaster sound? Did it help out any?
I am thinking about getting a high flow cat and the dynomax turbo mufler
to try and free up some power.
Compression check. I would like to find out whats going on in the combustion chamber first if I was you. That, followed by air, fuel, and timing would be my next move.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
TrooperJ said:
...I havent heard of too many 2.8l heads cracking
I missed that detail............ Nevermind :oops:

Cheers!
Smiley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts