Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well folks, my popz tried his hand at recharging my AC system and ended up overcharging it (gauge reads 100psi @ 90 ambient temp!), so he bled it down by depressing the shrader valve and now the AC doesn't work at all (blows hot, even though the compressor still engages) and the compressor makes some narsty noises. I'm guessing this means the oil is low or gone completely? Can I just use a can of oil charge? The system pressure is now in the acceptable range. I'd like to try to play with it myself before I shell out the $100 for someone to purge and refill the system. I know the system is complete and does not leak if that helps.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
So the compressor is running - what is the low side pressure? Am guessing it pulls down on the pressure to 28 psi or so when compressor engages?

Bleeding it out certainly you lost some oil there though no idea how much and also no idea if since the compressor is making noise if maybe the damage is already done.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vanduker said:
So the compressor is running - what is the low side pressure? Am guessing it pulls down on the pressure to 28 psi or so when compressor engages?

Bleeding it out certainly you lost some oil there though no idea how much and also no idea if since the compressor is making noise if maybe the damage is already done.
It's running, low side is 65.

·
Registered
347 Posts
ZuminaZX said:
vanduker said:

It's running, low side is 65.
That's still high. It should be about 45-55 @ 85°+.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Nathan08T said:
That's still high. It should be about 45-55 @ 85°+.
That seems high to me on R134 but regardless I think we would both say 65 is too high.

To the OP I asked specifically if you saw the pressure drop when the compressor was engaged. I see you say it is 65psi with the compressor running but if you cycle the compressor on and off does the pressure drop when it is engaged?

If the answer is yes then either you have too much gas, a restriction in the system or the compressor is failing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
With R134a your low side should be running around 35 psi. That is why your compressor sounds really bad you have way too much pressure. Bleed some of that refrigerant off and your compressor should sounds better.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it to jiffy lube today and had them purge and refill the system. They said it was 1lb low which made me :roll: but it works great now. I think part of the problem was my fan clutch was shot and my serp belt was also loose. I replaced the fan clutch, altenator, serp belt, and idler pulley yesterday and now it's good to go for the summer 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.