Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ABS light has been intermittently coming on the past couple weeks or so.. However the last couple days it has been coming on pretty consistently.. I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm hoping some of you will be able to guide me through diagnosing my issue?

I'm new to the IZUZU thing and don't really know the ABS System, it's diagnostics or the best place to start? If the light is on does it throw a code of some kind or do you have to visually inspect each ABS component? If that's the case I'm OK with that but need to know what I'm looking at/for as far as sensors and such?

TIA..

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
we need production year and model and have to figure out if its possible the ABS system is not working or the sensors arent being read...i know we discussed it a little but its beyond me without more help from the members here that know the 2nd gens better. More info and a free bump to the top!!!

i have some of the ABS modules (the big block in the engine bay) as well as some sensor parts...but unless i know what type of ABS system you have (3 sensor or 4 sensor (at each wheel)....

TTT

Ron

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
The easiest way to troubleshoot the ABS is to connect up an ABS capable scan tool and retrieve the DTC(s) that are illuminating the ABS lamp. You could also retrieve the DTC(s) using the flash code method.

Since your ABS problem is intermittent, it is probably a broken wire in the rear sensor harness where the harness is clamped to the frame by the left rear axle control arm.

Your vehicle has 3 ABS sensors, one on each front wheel and one on top of the rear differential.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buster it "may" not be relevant but I wonder "IF" the intermittent part was due to the bad batt terminals? I say this only because the ABS light was intermittent until I replaced BOTH batt terminal and cleaned the smaller (+) terminal/connector that runs from the BATT to the Main fuse box..

Since completing that task (thinking it may have been the cause of the CRUSIE/SET thing?) the ABS light has been on steady..

I'll check the shop across from mine today and see if they have the scan tool for the ABS? If not what is the FLASH CODE procedure to retrieve the DTC(S)?

Thanks for the input and assistance.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
the 3 wheel abs makes it easier. ill check my inventory and see what i have. IF they say its the front sensor wire/connector...sit down before he tells you the price of the part. if its the reluctor ring i have 2 of those here and the rear ABS sensor somewhere here....i think i have you covered if its parts. common is the rear axle sensor and the connection. look on the axle, you should see a rounded box sitting on the top center section. its about 1"X2" held in by a bolt. thats the rear ABS sensor. check the connection there for corrosion at the plug AND at the base of the sensor (frayed wires). start there. the reluctor rings rarely are the cause unless you break them removing them, that and the sensors up front, they break often also. the rear sensor corrodes or just fails. 99% of the time its the rear sensor.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
This is the procedure listed in the FSM, I can't verify it works since I have an ABS scan tool and have never used the flash procedure.

With Ignition Switch Off, connect the #12 terminal with #4 terminal or # 5 terminal (GND) on the diagnostic port and turn Ignition Switch On and leave On.

The first Code displayed is 12 which is flashed three times, followed by the DTC(s) which are flashed 3 times. Code 12 is flashed to signal the end of the DTC retrieval.

When you repair the problem the ABS lamp will turn Off when the vehicle speed is greater than 8 MPH
It will do a self test at startup, the ABS lamp will turn On and then Off if the self test passed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I unplugged and replugged in the sensor over the DIFF this afternoon.. Light came on after a couple minutes of run time so that was not it?

Planned on stopping by that shop I mentioned but wanted to at least gi ve the plug a go first.. Since that didn't work I'll swing by the shop in the A.M. and see if they can read the codes? I suspect (hope) they will have an ABS scan tool..

Will report back with any findings..

Thanks again for the assistance..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.