Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, lets condense some of all my spam and just put in one place eh?

Long story short version, like most of you here, I'm a Isuzu fanboy. /girl ;) .

I've driven them now for over 20 years, have owned 2, in the middle of parting out and selling my old 86, but this thread is about my new beauty.

1988 Isuzu Trooper II LS, 5 Speed 4wd, 2.6 fuel injected 4 cyll with 223k on original engine, top end rebuilt at 187k, tranny replaced at 207k from jy with 77k, completly stock, autolocking hubs, cold factory air/hot heat, captains chairs, cruise control, intermittant delay on wipers, aftermarket cd player, not a spot of rust to be seen.

Heres a few pics of the day I first saw her.

Now that was and is love at first sight. So, $1300.00 Dollars later, yep, cheap cheap cheap!

I've now repaced the muffler, cat, plugs, wires, rotar cap and button, oil change/all fluids indluding rear diff, air filter, fuel filter, and am pricing tires. Some pics of the frame to see what I've got to build on here. It looks amazingly clean for a 23 year old truck under there.

Some pics of her on a lift getting new exhaust.

Some pics of the old wires and plugs after I pulled them off. The wires were dry rotted, and I had to use needle nosed plyers to pull off the wire caps from the end of the plugs before I could get them out on 2/4 of the plugs.

Notice the old air filter, it was filthy!

Finally, a pic or two of how I spent the rest of today with my new Isuzu!

So far, just over $1500.00 invested, this is including purchase, oil change, tuneup, tax tag title and new muffler. Lets see where this old southern gal takes us eh?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Filled her up for the first time today. Origanly I topped off the existing tank of gas with just reglar gas, 87 octane plus 10% ethenol that is all we get down here, and managed to get 350 miles on a full tank.

Just filled it today, with premium, gonna see how she runs with oil change, plug/wire/cap change, all fluids swapped out. Still needs to have fuel filter replaced. Has new muffler and exhaust too now. At times at high rpms I notice a little bit if rattle around the fan shroud for the radiater, but cannot see it hitting anywhere even though something is definatly loose in there! I'll try to post a vid of her running and see if I can capture that sound.

Hoping to break 375 miles on this tank. 60$ to fill her up, running 93 octane this tank.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
sweet

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Looks great man, I've always liked that two-tone scheme, looks awesome!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
looks good!
i read in a manual that troopers were suppose to get 410 miles out of a full gas tank...mine has never done that

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Very nice keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, got new tires recently.. Paid $350.00 for all 4, Goodyear Wrangler AT's, nothing special, stock size..

But what a price!!

Had good/bad/ugly/great reviews of these..

for $350.00 and nearly 2.5k miles so far..

I"m HAPPY!

:twisted:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
How many miles per gallon is it getting now ?

It's a twin to my own, and I am hoping for all the MPG I can get.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just filled her up again.

I got 319 miles on my last tank. :cry:

But I did push her hard on it too ;)

This was after going offroad with my son a few times, almost all start and go short trip city driving, and one 200 mile round trip to and back from Columbia loaded with 3 adults and a kid and doing 70+ mph with the ac running the whole time. :twisted:

So far I"m happy..

Today it cost me 73$ to fill up, again 93 octane. I put in 22 gals, anybody wanna give a lazy fellow a guess or a figure as to the exact amount the tank in this truck holds? I'm guessing probably 23 or 25 gals at max..

So, on my last tank, with it spent driving fairly well taxed, I averaged 14.5 mpg!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update... Boy has this truck gotten expens ive... Pics to follow..

So , after doing all the basics, I started stockpiing stuff to make her perfect.. then the fuel pump went out...

I decided hell with it, let's do most of the crap at once eh?

Read and weep, I am...

Fuel pump, oil pump, water pump, front/rear main seal, head/valve cover gaskets, all vaccum lines, belts, pulleys, engine mounts ( one was broken) and replacing the clutch and timing chain/ cracked timing chain cover... $1500.00 so far, parts and labor.. this $1300.00 trooper is up to 3k and counting!! But she's gonna be perfect...

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Very nice trooper. Believe the book indicated tank size is 21.9 gallons.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
trucks can be expensive but at the end (if there is an end :lol: ) you have a neat truck

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, the rust free body and intact drivetrain were her selling points :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
your car is just plain awesome. 23 years later and all that $$ you putting in, I'm sure is all worth it. Mine has 20yrs and after paying 1,400 for it, the next day the tune up, brakes and catalyc converter had raised it up to 2k and still going...

Good luck !

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.. truely the project is never done... Barely got my wife onboard now, lol...I'm for real in the doghouse when the injectors, cv boots, , shocks, starter, god forbid the tranny, ect.... All die at once on this new to me trooper... I spent nearly 15 yrs building my last one before rust killed it.. I could get in trouble trying to fix up this one in just a few months.. :wink:

·
Registered
655 Posts
DigitalDrifter said:
Filled her up for the first time today. Origanly I topped off the existing tank of gas with just reglar gas, 87 octane plus 10% ethenol that is all we get down here, and managed to get 350 miles on a full tank.

Just filled it today, with premium, gonna see how she runs with oil change, plug/wire/cap change, all fluids swapped out. Still needs to have fuel filter replaced. Has new muffler and exhaust too now. At times at high rpms I notice a little bit if rattle around the fan shroud for the radiater, but cannot see it hitting anywhere even though something is definatly loose in there! I'll try to post a vid of her running and see if I can capture that sound.

Hoping to break 375 miles on this tank. 60$ to fill her up, running 93 octane this tank.
Honestly, that is a complete waste of money, unless you have a high compression engine, your spitting most of that fuel out of your tailpipe...93 octane contrary to popular belief burns SLOWER than 87...alot f car engines actually run better off 93, now if it has les ethanol in it, than maybe it will help, but i doubt you will see any improvement in mileage, possibly even a decrease...

I would be willing to bet that thing doesnt have the compression it did when it was new as well, which furtcher reduces its octane requirement...funny thing is, gas staions here are out of 87, so i filled up with 93, hahahaha, it'll burn it up quick on the interstate tomorrow i bet !!! If you havent seafoamed it yet, go for it man, i pourd 1/3 bottle in my oil, 1/3 bottle i sucked into my brake booster vacuum line and the other 1/3 in the fuel tank, shut it off, clean the throttle body/plate really well with deep creep and wipe it out with a rag, spray the pcv valve w/deep creep and let it sit for about 20 minutes, fire it up and take it for a ride, it smoked like a chimney for aboutten minutes, but after i got back, seemed like it idled a little smoother, I replaced my sooty plugs with brand new ngk's and cleaned and oiled my air filter, WOW, it seems stronger and idles better for SURE...I will also change the oil in250 miles just to try and remove any carbon the seafoam may losen up in there...but doing this may help with your fuel mileage, the guy i bought mine off also was runnig 20w50 castrol gtx, i have since ran mobil-1 0w30 for a few thousand and now have rotella t6 in there, i will likely be running the mobil-1 in the winter and the t6 in the summer, anyhow, the lighter oil DEFINATELY helped my mileage ALOT...

i do like your trooper though and love those wranglers they (i could be wrong) look like the discontinued ones, which makes em even cooler...

good luck to you and cant wait to see whats to come !!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hey man. Sweet ride. My son and I live on Bent Mountain and each have an 88. My thread is on my signature also. We're going down to URE. We could caravan if you'd like. Keep up the good work. :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That's a pretty LS.
14.5 is good for 24 years old vehicle.
Although an old brochure said that 2.6L can give you 16.9 - 28.5mpg on standard tyre.
Untitled-6-tile.jpg

A question, an LS usually have power window right?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts