Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody point me toward the right kind of turntable to play antique 78rpm shellac records? Preferably on the cheaper end of the spectrum. My family has 10 of these oldies that belonged to my Grandfather. There are no more modern recordings, and I've looked and can only find less then half the songs on them in digital format from i-tunes or Amazon.

I'd love to hear some of these oldies that haven't been heard in many decades but I only have a vinyl 33 and 45rpm turntable, I laid one of the old records on there just to see if it would even play them slow with no luck, seems like the needle is the wrong size or something too.

A quick search on line turns up lots of 78rpm turntables for sale, but are all 78 rpm records the same, will they all work with shellac records? I see 3 speed ones (33, 45 and 78) but do they need a different needle or anything to play really old 78s?

P.S. one of the records looks a little different too, it almost looks ceramic or something... don't know what that's about at all... :?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have an Audio Technica turntable that can play all three speeds (forwards and backwards) with the same needle.

(guessing) - those may be so old that they might only work on edison-era phono graphs.. like the one pictured for RCA.

post pics.
Get a close-up of the grooves too (if you can).

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
just a note,pawpa has 3 or 4 players and 1000's of records :shock: I always have to by boxes of needles, they come in 3 hardnesses....they def. sound different...you can still get new parts for these old players fairly cheap on amazon there is a seller of old players and parts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Sags said:
Can anybody point me toward the right kind of turntable to play antique 78rpm shellac records? Preferably on the cheaper end of the spectrum. My family has 10 of these oldies that belonged to my Grandfather. There are no more modern recordings, and I've looked and can only find less then half the songs on them in digital format from i-tunes or Amazon.

I'd love to hear some of these oldies that haven't been heard in many decades but I only have a vinyl 33 and 45rpm turntable, I laid one of the old records on there just to see if it would even play them slow with no luck, seems like the needle is the wrong size or something too.

A quick search on line turns up lots of 78rpm turntables for sale, but are all 78 rpm records the same, will they all work with shellac records? I see 3 speed ones (33, 45 and 78) but do they need a different needle or anything to play really old 78s?

P.S. one of the records looks a little different too, it almost looks ceramic or something... don't know what that's about at all... :?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
JLEMOND said:
Sags said:

O.K. Jerry... Guess I'm going to have to agree with ya on this one. :? :? :? :dark1:

What on earth was Jerry thinking. :? :?:

Thread hijack. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts