Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
‘89 Isuzu Pickup, 2.3L (one owner)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was reading a novel recently where the setup for the story has an electromagnetic pulse from outer space fry all of the electrical components on earth and the U.S. becomes a giant parking lot. Skip ahead and one of the new industries that develops is rebuilding autos to run without electronic control systems using the thousands of carburetors that have miraculously survived in junk yards. I’m not a mechanic; but I am old enough to remember my mechanic neighbors and cousins working on cars and trucks And tractors built in the ‘40’s through the ‘70’s that had no electronics nor vacuum hoses nor etc. And my first car was a ‘68 VW Beetle . So, I wondered what parts have to come out or be added to modern autos to do this without ECMs and vacuum actuated switches and valves, etc. (setting aside emissions regulations) . Surely Isuzu enthusiasts would be the first to be back on the road after the pulse?

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
So, I was reading a novel recently where the setup for the story has an electromagnetic pulse from outer space fry all of the electrical components on earth and the U.S. becomes a giant parking lot. Skip ahead and one of the new industries that develops is rebuilding autos to run without electronic control systems using the thousands of carburetors that have miraculously survived in junk yards. I’m not a mechanic; but I am old enough to remember my mechanic neighbors and cousins working on cars and trucks And tractors built in the ‘40’s through the ‘70’s that had no electronics nor vacuum hoses nor etc. And my first car was a ‘68 VW Beetle . So, I wondered what parts have to come out or be added to modern autos to do this without ECMs and vacuum actuated switches and valves, etc. (setting aside emissions regulations) . Surely Isuzu enthusiasts would be the first to be back on the road after the pulse?
Put in a diesel. No electrics nor electronics required.

Reactions: JoeIsuzu

·
Registered
191 Posts
They say a strong EMP blast will disable all vehicles among many other things. I read that this is why Russian fighter planes still use tube radios (I find that hard to believe). So a carb converted, desmogged Trooper with the computer removed should be doing better than others. The two ignition parts such as coil and control module can be swapped out in minutes.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
A) Diesel - many "newer" diesels also have electronics.
B) Most cars / trucks after early 90s don't have distributors that could be swapped out for an old style, and most intakes (manifolds) are not carb adaptable (unlike our 2.6 ITEC, which can be swapped over to the 2.3 carb and distributor.
C) Horses would be unaffected by the pulse. Dennis

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Been a long time since I've had a discussion like this as I went through that phase many years ago. You'd get your major electronics in duplicate now and store them inside a microwave in your basement. I bet the reality of an EMP would be that it isn't as whole sale destructive as the fantasy prepper world makes it out to be.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Like what happened to Tom Cruise in W O W. Of course, what would have fried electronics IN the car, would also have fried the electronics sitting on the shelf. Dennis

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick thank you for the replies. Have been tending a sick family member. It seems the novel was fictional on more than one level. @DSUZU Dennis, Horses did play a prominent role in the book. @Enemigo Is that the book reading phase, or the rebuilding a new car with old technology phase?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My buddy, who is an evangelical Ayn Rand/ Atlas Shrugged advocate, talked about this with me extensively about 8 or 9 years ago. I was a couple years into the VW hobby and he wanted a crash proof vehicle that could survive the PMP and be easily returned to service. He talked about putting the spare parts in the faraday cage or a microwave. He even sought out a faraday cage from ORNL when it was decommissioned, but didn't win the bid. He now has a 1964 beetle that he made road ready but doesn't bother driving it. It mostly sits, waiting for the crash.

I don't think it'd be as much about converting modern vehicles into primitive classics as much as it would be about getting one of those junkyard vehicles running with primitive systems.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
The idea of keeping your parts in a Faraday bag is a good one. I have an extra ECM & distributor ign module for my '90 V6 Trooper. About the only other thing I can think of that would be vulnerable in an EMP attack would be the Electronic Spark Control module, and they're cheap on eBay. Or maybe I have one of those kicking around somewhere, I can't recall.

At any rate, my old '69 Honda Z50 Minitrail will still run, no matter what happens.

As will any small, 50's or '60's Vintage Evinrude or Johnson outboard.

Long as we can still drive the Trooper to the fishing hole and catch fish, we'll be ok! So will the horses! And of course if the JohnRude finally dies, break out the oars!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was referring to the general phase of "prepping." Which book? One Second After? One of the ones by Niven and Pournelle?
Ahhh... the book was a series by Teri Blackstock, the Restoration Collection, starting with Last Light. Sorry, I’m not particularly conversant with those other books, or prepping. Raised poorish in the country and still living a frugal lifestyle, we just figured we were prepped enough. (Although, coincidentally, I did learn this week that I apparently am inheriting 100 lbs of dried food stuffs stored in nitrogen purged sealed containers plus 20 gallons of coal oil, all left over from Y2K.).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
In the event of an EMP blast, wouldn't that take out the gas/fuel pumps as well as the power grid? If so, you'd need a supply of gas/fuel as well as spare parts for your vehicle. Dennis' horse is starting to look better. ;) Simplifying the electrics on a truck in order to keep it on the road after parts become unavailable, EMP or no EMP, would be my main reason.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts