Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving downtown today with the AC going, and all of a sudden I hear a bad noise start smelling something burning.

I pull over and lift to hood to find smoke pouring out of the AC compressor clutch. Yup, it's toast. :cry: Even with the AC off now, it's making very bad noises.

The parts stores want to sell me a whole new compressor assembly for >$400.

Question is this:

Is the compressor modular to where I can just replace the clutch? If so, where can I find just the clutch? Or is the whole unit integrated? In which case I'm shafted.

P.S. Car-Part.com shows me 0 results when I search for "A/C Compressor Clutch Only" which leads me to believe it's probably integrated.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Sags said:
So driving downtown today with the AC going, and all of a sudden I hear a bad noise start smelling something burning.

I pull over and lift to hood to find smoke pouring out of the AC compressor clutch. Yup, it's toast. :cry: Even with the AC off now, it's making very bad noises.

Question is this:

Is the compressor modular to where I can just replace the clutch? If so, where can I find just the clutch? Or is the whole unit integrated? In which case I'm shafted.

P.S. Car-Part.com shows me 0 results when I search for "A/C Compressor Clutch Only" which leads me to believe it's probably integrated.
CLUTCH IS REPLACE ABLE AS IS THE COIL ,AND THE FLYWHEEL , I MAY HAVE A GOOD USED SET OF CLUTCH PARTS, WILL LET YOU KNOW TOMORROW , FIRST REMOVE THE BELT AND HAVE THE UNIT TURNED OFF AND SEE IF YOU CAN TURN THE FLYWHEEL BY HAND ,IF THE COMP, IS BURNED UP NO USE IN REPLACING THE CLUTCH.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JLEMOND said:
Sags said:

Question is this:

CLUTCH IS REPLACE ABLE AS IS THE COIL ,AND THE FLYWHEEL , I MAY HAVE A GOOD USED SET OF CLUTCH PARTS, WILL LET YOU KNOW TOMORROW , FIRST REMOVE THE BELT AND HAVE THE UNIT TURNED OFF AND SEE IF YOU CAN TURN THE FLYWHEEL BY HAND ,IF THE COMP, IS BURNED UP NO USE IN REPLACING THE CLUTCH.
Thanks Jerry, you're awesome as usual. I'll check that tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Adding to what Jerry said, parts stores won't show the clutch being replaceable. You might have just burnt up the bearing which would explain why there is noise even with the a/c off. You can replace the bearing in the pulley but you may get questionable results since the bearing is retained in the pulley by peaning over the edges where the bearing goes in. I had difficulty with this and ended up replacing the entire pulley with one from a wrecking yard. You will need to borrow a special tool to pull the electro-magnetic coil off the front. I borrowed it from O-Reilly's, I think.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been busy the last week and kinda put this on the back burner.

Looked at the factory service manual, and now I'm really depressed. I didn't realize I'd need a puller to get the pulley off, which means I'd have to pull the whole compressor off anyway to fit a puller on it, which means having to recharge the system. I tried, but I can't even get the drive plate to budge with the compressor attached.

I'm kinda in a catch 22 here, I don't want to keep driving it with that nasty noise (probably bearing) coming from the compressor. But I can't just take it off and drive without it either (unless I find a shorter belt).

The Rodeo is my only transportation right now, and I need it to get to school every weekday.

Anyway, I know there's not much I can do about it till I have time to take the compressor off (probably next weekend). I just get frustrated when I can't control things. :(

PS. Is there anyway to tell if the compressor itself is still good, without pulling the clutch/pulley off? The drive plate turns by hand, but not smoothly. I'm worried because last time I did try to engage the clutch the noise got 10x worse and it put a very big load on the engine. I'm not going to try that again.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Sags said:
Been busy the last week and kinda put this on the back burner.

Looked at the factory service manual, and now I'm really depressed. I didn't realize I'd need a puller to get the pulley off, which means I'd have to pull the whole compressor off anyway to fit a puller on it, which means having to recharge the system. I tried, but I can't even get the drive plate to budge with the compressor attached.

I'm kinda in a catch 22 here, I don't want to keep driving it with that nasty noise (probably bearing) coming from the compressor. But I can't just take it off and drive without it either (unless I find a shorter belt).

The Rodeo is my only transportation right now, and I need it to get to school every weekday.

Anyway, I know there's not much I can do about it till I have time to take the compressor off (probably next weekend). I just get frustrated when I can't control things. :(

PS. Is there anyway to tell if the compressor itself is still good, without pulling the clutch/pulley off? The drive plate turns by hand, but not smoothly. I'm worried because last time I did try to engage the clutch the noise got 10x worse and it put a very big load on the engine. I'm not going to try that again.
WHEN YOU WERE TRYING TO GET THE DRIVE PLATE OFF , YOU DID HAVE THE CENTER BOLT REMOVED ,IT IS A 10 MM HEAD THAT HOLDS THE DRIVE PLATE FROM BAKING OUT AND MAY BE HARD TO SEE,
EVEN THEN YOU WILL NEED TO GET A SPECIAL LITTLE THRREE LEGGED PULLER TO PULL THE DRIVE PLATE OUT , BE SURE AND NOT LOOSE THE SHIMS IN THERE THAT SPACE THE DRIVE PLATE FROM THE CLUTCH P[LATE ,, ONCE THE PLATE IS OUT , REMOVE THE LARGE SNAP RING THAT HOLDS THE PULLEY ASSY IN PLACE AND PUT A PULLER AROUND THE PULLEY AND REMOVE IT , YOU CNA DO IT IN THE CAR , SO YOU DOTN HAVE TO DISCHARGE THE SYSTEM , BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE FAN AND THE FAN SHROUD TO GET IN THERE , NOW IN THE MEANTIME JUST GET A SHORTER BELT UNTILL YOU GET ENOUGH TIME TO GET IT ALL BACK TOGETHER , AFTER REMOVING THE DRIVE PLATE AND THE PULLEY STICK THE DRIVE PLATE BACK ON AND SEE HOW MUCH FORCE IT TAKES TO TURN THE COMP CRANK SHAFT ,IT WONT SPIN REAL EASY BUT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TURN IT BY HAND ,IF IT IS REALLY GRABBY OR SCRATCHY FEELING THE COMP IS PROB ALL READY DONE FOR, TURNING THE DRIVE PLATE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FEEL THE COMP PUMPING ACTION, AS YOU TURN IT . JERRY

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you can do some research to find if a 98 trooper ac compressor is the same as your years rodeo i can sell you the entire AC compressor. I would like to get 100 dollars for it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
sounds to me as if you have a bad ac clutch berring. if you get under it and turn it on while its making the sound, spray some aero kroil / power lube in to it and it will fix the noise for a while, Im having the same problem with mine and if i spray wd40 in it, it sounds like its been fixed. only problem is the 98 compressor wont fit on my 02!!!! :( I was told that sometimes metal shavings get in there, but mine definitively has a bad ac clutch berrying and untill i get enough money to replace it im going to bypass it with a new belt or keep spraying it ( however long that works for )

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would just get a shorter belt for the time being. I got one for my 2000 (no a/c) for something like $20. You can even leave the compressor on and just run the new belt around it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts