Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Rodeo, A/C blows cold air intermittently, and sounds pretty bad. I was hoping it just needed some freon, so I took it to a shop, they say it will cost me $2100, or $1700 for remanufactured parts. My question: is this typical of Isuzu repair costs?? This is a bit much, will have to bear with the heat as I don't want to part with my first born right now. Their bill lists new compressor, receiver, dryer, expansion valve, freon, A/C flush as required parts. Any opinions gladly accepted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow they want to replace everything. I would say you probably could get away with replacing drier and compressor. If you are still running R-12 freon will be a pretty penny, but I am guessing you have the new stuff, R134. I would A) get another quote B) If you know someone in air conditioning field see them C) Roll the windows down.

The only other thing I could tell you is you might find some that does work on the side that works in the refrigeration field. I work at Carrier Transicold and there is a few of us that do car air on the side. There is a dealer in LV, you might see what you can't find out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Rick,
Have you checked the compressor belt? It could be slipping intermittently, due to being worn, out of adjustment, or power steering fluid dripping on it. That would explain both the noise, and the intermittent cold. I guess it could be a faulty compressor,so replacing that and a refill with R-12 would be fairly expensive, but that does sound a bit steep.

My '96 Trooper has the R-134 in it, so I would imagine your '98 does as well. There should be a sticker under the hood somewhere indicating that. If it is R-134, that is a really excessive amount of $$. Post back with a description of the noise, and any other symptoms you can nail down. While we do have our share of hooligans on the board, :roll: there are some very knowledgeable folk as well.

Adam

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
It definitely has r134 in it. This sounds like the classic "low freon" condition. When the system gets low on r134, it won't run the compressor. This is so that it doesn't run dry, since the lubricant is in with the r134. It can cycle if the pressures in the system fluctuate. I had the same thing happen to my 88, even though it had r12. Have the pressure of the system checked first.

-Tad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.