Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:evil: The blower in my '95 Trooper is acting funny.
1) Sometimes, it works perfectly, 4 speeds, compressor works, etc...
2) Sometimes, when I cut it on, the blower doesn't blow, but the compressor does activate and if I change to outside air, cool air does blow in, but not powered. If I change back & forth from outside to recirc air, sometimes the blower will cut on, sometimes not.
3) Sometimes, the blower will blow, but insanely slow, regardless of the fan setting. After a while, it will gradually speed up and eventually blow full force, and adjust according to the switch.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
Summer in Alabama is really hot and I can't drive my kids to school in this oven of a vehicle..

Thanks much! :)

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Do any of the dash lights come on when this happens? Ie: the alternator, brake, etc lights? If so the alternator might be cutting out. Is the voltage normal?

You could have a bad blower motor, or a bad switch. I'd test the connections at the blower motor and see what voltage they are receiving.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
There is also a resistor block that controls the speeds. It could be bad as well. Usually if the motor tests good (take it out and put 12v on it), then it's the resistor block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No extra lights on the dash to indicate a problem. Sometimes when this problem occurs, I can hear the cycles of the blower motor as static through the radio. Voltage seems to be normal (on the dash).

This might be unrelated, but I just had to get a new starter. Every time the engine started up, I would get lots of belt screeching. The engine acted as if it was under a load, the voltage would be low, then the screeching would stop, the engine RPMs would kick up, and the voltage would go to its normal position. Eventually, the starter wouldn't turn. I replaced it and it's worked ever since, but I'm not convinced that the bad starter wasn't just a separate issue.
What could I expect to pay for a newish alternator? Think someone like AutoZone would have one?
Big, where is the resistor block you referred to? Where could I get a replacement?
Sorry if these are stupid newbie questions, but I'm new to this self-maintenance thing...

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know if this applies to newer troopers, but I had a blower problem with my 1990. My plower wouldn't work when my headlights were on and I had multiple warning lights like Tad mentioned. I had to replace the alternator and the engine relay located in the fuse panel under the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Y'all check this out: since Wednesday, the blower has been working fine. I haven't changed or moved a thing. I crank the truck, and the blower comes on strong. I've checked the fuse box inside the cab, and the relays under the hood. Nothing blown or discolored. Weird, huh?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
For the 99's it looks like the resistor module mounts in the side of the heater unit. It will have 4-5 wires in a single connector, and one or two screws holding it into the heater unit. Look for it right near the blower motor. It isn't clear where it is in relation to that.

On the 1st gens, you could look at the resistor and tell if it is bad. The wires had a tendency to physically break.

-Tad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.