Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just replaced the transmission and transfer case with parts from wrecked vehicle. Everything seems to be great...shifts smooth. But when it is in TOQ at about 55mph it seems to kind of slip some (acts like power is shifting from one wheel to another). Any suggestions? Maybe linkage or something?

In 3 years and 65K+ miles, this is the first major problem we have had with the vehicle. It uses a quart of oil every 3K miles or sooner if pulling a load. We absolutely love the vehicle...the ride, the room, the amemities....not to mention how well it retains value. Even with the oil thing....I would recommend a Trooper to anybody.... one vehicle that lives up to its rep!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
You mean TOD?

The wheel speed sensors have been known to go out, which the TOD computer uses to decide where to send the power. First I would check the connections to the sensors to see if they got loose during install, then the sensors themselves.

Otherwise I would suspect the transmission torque converters is locking/unlocking for some reason...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I meant TOD. I will pass the word on to the machanic (local small garage...no dealership close) about the sensors. He tried calling the closest dealership and they pretty much blew him off, so he is ready for any and all suggestions.

We originally took it to a transmission shop and they told us the tran and transfer case was bad and for a starter of 4K they would replace them...that is why we replaced both, but found a used transmission and transfer case.

The problem is worse than we originally thought. The instant you turn on TOD, the indicator lights (all of them) immediately light up and a grinding, growling noise commences. I also found that the high/low shifter is hard to move and will only shift back in the down position when you shift to nuetral....not park. Could something be misaligned?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.