Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
As I'm putting the new wheel bearings in and starting to hopefully finish this up, I checked the pre-load which I believe is supposed to be 5.5 lbs. Got it to that point and put the 3 little screws in. I used high temp gasket sealer and put the final two caps on and the wheel is WAY over 5.5 lbs now. You have to really struggle to move the thing. Do I go back in and loosen it? If I do, it more than likely won't be at 5.5. Just wondered if any of you have had this happen?

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I have never set the bearings with a gauge. I first tighten the nut to make sure the bearings are seated and then loosen the nut. Then I just rotate the wheel and snug up the nut until it "feels" right. Better to be loose than too tight.

·
Registered
1999 Isuzu Trooper "S" 3.5l 6VE1 4WD Bone Stock
8 Posts
I just did this again on my 99 Trooper, the first time I did it I did not preload correctly and toasted the bearings. I do not have the practical experience Buster has so I had to go by the book this time (Isuzu Service Manual) and bought the special socket. The book says tighten to 22 ft pounds first, then back off and tight to 5.5 ft pounds. Have not run it yet and hope this will get it right. At the same time I discovered both rear axle seals leaking fluid into the brakes so am trying to figure that out....looks like I'll be pulling axle shafts.

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
Here is a trick to set the pre-load if you don't feel comfortable doing it by hand.

A gallon of water weighs 8.34lbs. 5.5/8.34 = .66 gallons of water of pre-load.
With 128 ounces in a gallon, .66 x 128 = 84 ounces of water.
So put 5 pints of water in a gallon jug and zip tie it to a wheel stud. You now have a tension gauge for the preload.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread

Reactions: davedude

·
Registered
1999 Isuzu Trooper "S" 3.5l 6VE1 4WD Bone Stock
8 Posts
Very cool DIY method Oro!
I used a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge I had laying around for other applications.

Food Automotive tire Recipe Automotive wheel system Cooking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts