Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help, I recently bought a "99 Trooper with 140,000 miles, the engine ran great it was a garage kept family can. My daughter took it out of town and she called freaking out that it was on fire, she was alright, FD came out, there was no flames. I went out the next day to tow it home. couldn't see where there was much fire damage I could see. Had someone come out to look at it, don't think he was much of a mechanic, but he said the electrical harness was burned and there was nothing he could do and it would probably cost more to fix than it was worth. I'm around Beaumont TX, does anybody know where and if it's worth fixing? really hate to just scrap it out.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,194 Posts
The mechanic is probably right in stating it probably wouldn't be worth fixing. He's stating that cause if you took it to a mechanic to fix and it took several days the labor charge alone would be to high. How handy are you? A complete engine harness can be taken off a similar trooper in a scrap yard. What preceded the fire? Sounds like it was an electrical fault rather than an engine fuel leak which would have been more visable flames and probably burned up the whole engine compartment. First would be to see if the cause can be located. Did it burn up the fuse panel in the engine compartment? If so that too can be removed from the same junk car. Make sure if you go that route that the year and engine are the same as yours. You or the person you have fix this has to have some auto electrical knowledge, know how to read an electrical diagram, trace wire with a meter etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mechanic is probably right in stating it probably wouldn't be worth fixing. He's stating that cause if you took it to a mechanic to fix and it took several days the labor charge alone would be to high. How handy are you? A complete engine harness can be taken off a similar trooper in a scrap yard. What preceded the fire? Sounds like it was an electrical fault rather than an engine fuel leak which would have been more visable flames and probably burned up the whole engine compartment. First would be to see if the cause can be located. Did it burn up the fuse panel in the engine compartment? If so that too can be removed from the same junk car. Make sure if you go that route that the year and engine are the same as yours. You or the person you have fix this has to have some auto electrical knowledge, know how to read an electrical diagram, trace wire with a meter etc.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm not that good at repairs. Don't really have the time or place. if I can't find someone I'll just donate it and take the tax right off. THX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts