Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I’m new to Isuzu’s and new to the site. I just purchased my first Isuzu Trooper yesterday (1999, V6, 4WD). I bought it knowing it had an issue with it…hoping it is what the computer says it is. The check engine light was on and the truck is making a rumbling noise and shakes a bit when driving. The computer initially gave a Bank 2 O2 sensor error and a Camshaft sensor error. I drove it a few miles to the gas station because the oil was non existent. I added the oil and hooked the computer up again. I only got a Camshaft sensor error. I drove it home 20miles and hooked it up again and got only the Camshaft sensor error again. So, my question is…..do I need to replace the O2 sensor and the Camshaft sensor? If the Camshaft sensor was really bad would the truck still run at all or could that actually be the cause of the rumbling? I really appreciate any help you’re willing to give. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realized I failed to mention that the previous owner explained that he hit a beach chair on the highway last month. When he brought it into the shop to get it fixed they told him they replaced the radiator (the chair had punctured it) and fixed the computer. The car was supposedly fixed but has not been driven since. Not sure if this matters but I thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is used in conjunction with the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) to determine which cylinder should be the first to fire on startup and to operate the Misfire Detector. If the CPS does not function, engine startup will be slightly delayed but it does not affect engine performance after the engine is running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply Buster28. So, should I not bother replacing the Camshaft sensor? The truck drives but is quite loud. Why would the computer have thrown that error? Could that error be caused by something else? If so, how do I go about figuring it out.....short of spending $75 for the mech to do a diagnostic? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
The CEL will be illuminated whenever the OBD ll system detects a problem with a component it is designed to monitor. In this case it is telling you there is a problem with the CPS. In a lot of states you cannot pass the state emission test with the CEL illuminated, so if you live in one of those states you will have to replace the CPS. Further, the misfire detector is disabled, it is useful diagnostic feature.

If your vehicle is loud you probably need new muffler, the baffles inside the muffler case rot out due to condensation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts