Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My engine is shot. I read some of the posts about how the 3.5 DOHC is basically just a bored out 3.2 DOHC and that it is possible to swap. Here are my questions:
Are the 3.2s more reliable than the 3.5? Should i stick with a 3.5 replacement or go to the 3.2?

Are there any other manufacturer engines(more reliable) that could be swapped easily?

These engines are ridiculously expensive, I just want to make sure I am not wasting time and money on an overall bad idea.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If you are talking salvage, IIRC the 01-02 vintage Troopers had the improved ring design. You might have a minor issue with throttle control, as they went to drive-by-wire (vs. cable) throttle control in 00. But, if you are just using the block it shouldn't matter.

I would assume a crate motor would have the improved rings also. Jerry Lemond would know...does he post around here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC? What is that? I have recieved a quote from precisionengine.com that sounds good... they said that they upgrade a lot of the crappy parts including rings. any thouhgts?
thanks for the response!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am considering swapping my 3.5L for something not made by Isuzu, since I have found out that i will likely have the same problem with another 3.5L.

I have read that you can swap any of the following engines very easily:
-Chevy 3.1 V-6, 3.4 V-6 and 3.8 V-6 (fwd)
-Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0L DOHC V-8
-Cadillac 4.1 4.5 and 4.9 Pushrod V-8
-Cadillac 4.5L DOHC Northstar V-8
Is this true? If so, what things wouldn't just bolt on? In other words, what would I have to do to make it work? Be honest. Be brutal if necessary.

·
Registered
305 Posts
what happened to your engine? What was mileage?

·
Registered
38 Posts
sfellows said:
I am considering swapping my 3.5L for something not made by Isuzu, since I have found out that i will likely have the same problem with another 3.5L.

I have read that you can swap any of the following engines very easily:
-Chevy 3.1 V-6, 3.4 V-6 and 3.8 V-6 (fwd)
-Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0L DOHC V-8
-Cadillac 4.1 4.5 and 4.9 Pushrod V-8
-Cadillac 4.5L DOHC Northstar V-8
Is this true? If so, what things wouldn't just bolt on? In other words, what would I have to do to make it work? Be honest. Be brutal if necessary.
Somebody please confirm that the 4.5L Northstar is an easy swap. That would be a serious performance upgrade!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ducktrooper said:
what happened to your engine? What was mileage?
It was at 93,000 miles. Knocking sound moderate at first, became very loud quickly. Took it to mechanic, he said it threw an arm. His estimate on a rebuild for it was around $3000 with no promises about reliability thereafter. A remanufactured engine and installation is about $3000 too.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
sfellows said:
It was at 93,000 miles. Knocking sound moderate at first, became very loud quickly. Took it to mechanic, he said it threw an arm. His estimate on a rebuild for it was around $3000 with no promises about reliability thereafter. A remanufactured engine and installation is about $3000 too.
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

are you sure ! it's a rod?

unless you drove it without oil, i doubt it.

that awful knocking sound could be (probably is, in my estimation, w/o further info) the timing belt tensioner -- it's shot.

ck the timing belt and timing belt tensioner first .

do a search here and at http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/ for

timing belt tensioner
knock

i was told, too, i needed a rebuild. he even cut open the oil filter to show me the metal from the rod bearings (it was from the oil filter he just cut open).

i didn't need no stinkin' rebuild. i needed a new timing belt tensioner that the dealer hadn't replaced when they did the timing belt about 10,000 miles prior.

so -- unless the shop is a regular isuzu 3.2l v6 mechanic (and that's a rare breed, indeed), and he knows about this tensioner symptom first-hand, i'd investigate this first.

good luck. and please let us know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trooperbc[b:1b7pybos said:
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o![/b]

are you sure ! it's a rod?

unless you drove it without oil, i doubt it.

that awful knocking sound could be (probably is, in my estimation, w/o further info) the timing belt tensioner -- it's shot.

ck the timing belt and timing belt tensioner first .

good luck. and please let us know.
What?!? Oh man if that is true, I will be so happy! Can you tell me how to diagnose it for sure? I want to be sure before I take it to someone...

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you do need an engine swap I would go with a 3.2. I have a 1997 Trooper with 223,500. All I've ever done is change the oil every 3,000,two sets of plugs and one timing belt. (I getting a new one in a month) It still runs really strong, starts in two cranks, hardly knocks, oil prussure is 80ish, never burns any oil, and still gets drivin 100 miles a day. I pull a one and a half ton trailer on the weekends (my toys) and and a 1000 pound trailer all week. It is and unbeliveable engine and I don't think its ever going to give up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.