Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my rodeo would just click when I went to start it on a cold morning. I thought the battery was dead. It clicked again (1 click when you turn the key) a few times then fired right up. I had the battery tested and it was fine. The next couple of days it started normally. Then one time the starter cranked a half second then stopped. Click, click, click, varoom - had to turn the key 4 times to start (each time it's 1 click per keyturn). Now this is happening daily. If I turn the key enough times (sometimes up to 10) it will always start. When it's warm it always starts right up 1st time every time.
Any suggestions on what is up? Starter, solenoid, ignition, relay? I cleaned the positive cable as there was some corrosion yet, if this was a battery - cable or starter problem, it seems that I wouldn't get it to start at all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just went thru this on a '95 Rodeo - 3.2 liter.

Battery voltage read 12.72 - good. Pulled it and had a local shop perform a load test - checked out ok.

Ign. switches on asian vehicles are rarely the issue.

These vehicles use Denso starters and the armature part seldom goes bad. The solenoid is usually the culprit. Local elect. shop replaced contacts + plunger - about $20 in parts and $55 labor.

I did my own starter removal/reinstallation.

Things are back to normal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I95!
So I guess the overwhelming majority consensus agrees ( LOL :lol: ), it's the solenoid?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.