Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the modern looking round bar style hitches claim to be for under vehicle spare only like this one...

http://www.hitchsource.com/product_info ... s_id=27352

Are the mounting brackets really different between the two? I have a door mounted spare, but find myself wanting to buy the one that is labeled "for under vehicle spare only". My gut feeling is that the ones built for under vehicle spares would work for both.

Taylor

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I dont see why the one for the undercarriage spare wouldnt work. Should be the same frame with the same mounting holes.

I have the opposite problem. I'm supposed to have the spare underneith but one of the previous owners modified a receiver for another vehicle and welded it to the frame, which takes up some of the space for the spare, so I have to drive around with no spare for now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I put a hitch on my SIL's 2003 with under-mount spare. The only difference is the hitch sticks out and hangs down a little more to acommodate for the tire. The mounting area is the same.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
23 Posts
tcowan said:
Are the mounting brackets really different between the two? I have a door mounted spare, but find myself wanting to buy the one that is labeled "for under vehicle spare only". My gut feeling is that the ones built for under vehicle spares would work for both.
Hi Taylor,
I have an 02' Rodeo Sport with the rear door mounted spare.
I installed the "official" Isuzu trailer hitch. I don't know how
different this is from a full size Rodeo hitch or from aftermarket
brands, but here some pics so you can eyeball it. Hopefully you
can compare the pics with what you are looking for and see if
they match up:

1. The hitch installed 2. Passenger side looking up and rearward.

3. Another view of passenger side 4. Passenger side from outside

5. Driver side looking up and rearward 6. Driver side bolts from outside (The 3 bolts are pointed out from inside & outside)

7. View of drivers side

I hope these give you a hand.
Goodluck,
johann

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I'm supposed to have an undercarriage mount spare on my rodeo. One of the genius previous owners used a flat receiver like yours from something else, cut the mounts off, and welded it to the frame. It takes up some of the space where the spare goes so at the moment I have no spare. I have a bid on ebay on the right one. Whenever I get it then I get the fun job of cutting the wrong one off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.