Isuzu SUV Forum banner

99' Rodeo has used 4 quarts of oil in 2200 miles! Help!

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JTK 
First off, I'm sorry to hear about these problems. That is WAAAAAAAAY too much oil consumption. I can not see why this situation wouldn't be covered by the warranty though. If they gave you the warranty, then the vehicle must have been in good working order, right?

What's wrong with the dipstick BTW? It stays put in the engine and it is easy to read when I'm checking level. Is it that twisty design?? The reason for that is to make the stick more rigid to prevent binding in the tight turns in the dipstick tube that will result in inaccurate readings.

I did ALL 4 of the CV boots myself in about the same amount of time that they quoted you for 1.

It cost me about $120 for the CV parts from Independent 4x4. (Mecatech kit)

Axle grease seals (front) are cheap. Are you sure it needs new bearings, how do you know this? Is it clicking or chattering? Has the CV boot been torn for a while? Repacking wheel bearings and CV joints (while tedious) is fairly easy to do.

That can all be done by the home mechanic in a single day. Heck, I even enjoyed it! Or maybe it was that new cooler...

Wheel bearings needs to be repacked every 30-50K miles or so, so this isn't a big deal in my eyes.

What breather needs fixing? That should be a fairly easy fix too if it's for one of your diffs. That is the only part with breather in the name that I know of. If it's a PCV that we're talking about then that's a 1 MINUTE fix!

What other problems (if any) are you having?

OTOH, the oil consumption issue is a big one. See what you can get done there first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.