Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my rodeo in for an oilchange and the mechanics found both cv joints are bad. I'm not disputing that, I've thought for a while they were going bad. I was surprised at what I was quote for repair though, they are saying $850. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Are the joint bad or is it just the boots that are torn? If you are talking about replacing the whole joint, that's really not too bad. That is a fairly labor intensive job.

If it's the boots they are insane. You can do that yourself.

Joe

·
Registered
297 Posts
That sounds like an ok price for R&R with new joints. Both mine were replaced by the dealership under my service contract which only cost me $100 but w/o the contract it would of cost a little over $1000 I think.

Also bad joints will still last a long time. I drove on bad joints with no boots for a year and a half and through a lot of mud like that during the rainy season. I'm sill running those joints but I put on new boots and grease a month ago. They click like crazy at low speeds but still work just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When they go bad how will I know it? I'm guessing it will probally be a terrible clacking noise. I suspect they have been bad for 2 years or more, I might just try the new boots and grease idea.

·
Registered
416 Posts
When you take them apart to replace the boots, you'll have the opportunity to inspect the terrible condition they are sure to be in. CVs go bad very quickly when they get moisture and dirt in them.

When they go bad you will not only start clicking badly, but you might even break a cup and damage the steering knuckle or driveshaft, possibly some other driveline component. Best case you'll only have to replace the CVs and the halfshafts.

The boots and grease will likely only run you a couple of dozen bucks. Halfshafts will cost hundreds.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On mine they click REALLY bad when I have it in 4wd, and that's after a year of driving in mud with no boots. When I disassemble them to re grease them and put new boots on, the inner races had some chips, the cage had a slight dip worn in it from the balls, and the balls fell out of the cage instead of needing to be pried out. After re greasing and booting them they quieted down quite a bit and now only click at maybe 10mph and under.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts