Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a 99 rodeo,3.2,auto when tranny is shifting from 2nd to 3rd
or when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, something(tranny?) bucks (slams)
it does it mostly when cold and keeps on until car is shut off then started when warm
sometimes hear an electrical type buzz when it is happening
it did not do it till tranny got flushed at goodyear, since then i changed fluid and filter following haynes manual

any thoughts of where to start would be apprieciated
thanks
p.s. wife knows when it will happen by high idle at cold start, also by hard clunk when put into drive

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have you considered that the hard shifting might be a result of the high idle? May be nothing to do with the transmission. Maybe you should investigate the high idle first. Have you ever changed the inlet manifold gasket? If this is broken could the buzzing be an air whistle?

'99

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply
the high idle is only at cold start and it jumps to 2000 for a second then comes down
when it warms up just a little, it drops to a normal idle
if no shift problem is going to happen it will jump between 1000 and 1500 then come down to normal when warmed up

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Play close attention to the tranny position indicator lights on the dash. If the lights do not match the setting on the gear shift, then you may have a bad tranny selector switch. This happened on my daughter's 1999 Amigo. It would be in D but the lights indicated L and the tranny would bang on the shifts because the computer was confused. Jerry sold me a new switch. After putting it in the banging disappeared and the lights returned to normal.

It is an easy repair. You can see the switch on the driver's side of the tranny. The linkage goes right through it's center. Basically disconnect the linkage and remove 2 bolts and the switch comes loose. Disconnect the connector and it is out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
chuck said:
hello, i have a 99 rodeo,3.2,auto when tranny is shifting from 2nd to 3rd
or when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, something(tranny?) bucks (slams)
it does it mostly when cold and keeps on until car is shut off then started when warm
sometimes hear an electrical type buzz when it is happening
it did not do it till tranny got flushed at goodyear, since then i changed fluid and filter following haynes manual

any thoughts of where to start would be apprieciated
thanks
p.s. wife knows when it will happen by high idle at cold start, also by hard clunk when put into drive
This happened with mine when the EGR valve was bad. EXACTLY the same behavior. Are you getting any check engine lights?

Dave

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
DO NOT flush that Transmission.

it only brings problems!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have replaced that park/neutral switch once before, mabey i will try to align/adjust it, the first time i had any tranny issues my dash gear lights wer all messed up like you talked about

i had to replace the egr not too long ago, since then i have cleaned it but no check engine lights have come on

i hear you about flushing that tranny, i went to goodyear, tried to get fluid and filter change and got talked out of it, they said filter change was the worst thing i could do for that tranny, since then i change fluid and filter myself

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Stop driving that truck, do some research on this forum about cleaning the range mode sensor, located on the large pan on the drivers side....if this is dirty, it WILL cause your exact symptoms, cause the truck doesn't know what gear it's supposed to be in.

This is a VERY common problem on these trucks.

Also, after you clean it, disconnect the trucks battery for 6-8hrs, so the transmission *relearns* how to properly behave

As a side note, what transmission fluid did you use in this truck?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2000 Wizard (Rodeo) began these same symptoms this morning on the way to work. There are no lights on the dash. Seemed to ease up on the way, so I assume it was due to getting warm. Searched the forum for 'range mode sensor' and nothing came up. Would anyone happen to have a link to this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello folks
I own a 2000 Rodeo 3.2 and I recently got the computer changed (PCM,ECU) because of an open circuit in all the injectors. The engine is working perfectly fine now but the transmission (which didn't have any issues before) is giving me a weird problem. When I just turn the car on, at any time hot or cold, and put it in drive the car performs normal through 1st gear and until the end of 2nd where there is a rough change to 3rd gear. Once I have to stop at a light or stop an the car returns to 1st it stays normal. However, when I try to move again it will slip on 1st gear until it hits about 20mph where it engages 2nd - all the other gears which perform fine and do not change roughly or slip. Once I turn off the car and turn it back on, the slipping on 1st disappears and it goes through the same process of rough 2-3 and the slip after stop on 1st.

The way I get around it is by manually switching the gears, meaning, L then 2 then 3 and D. However, when I do that there is a rough change from 1st to 2nd.

Weird?

Please give me your thoughts on what this can be and if it can be. Thanks :)

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
A 2000 Rodeo uses a combined transmission and engine "computer" (PCM), if your transmission was working properly before you replaced the PCM it seems likely there is a problem with the replacement PCM. Is the Check Trans lamp or CEL lamp illuminated?

·
Registered
1 Posts
FIXED IT - My 2002 4wd Trooper had a flashing "Check Trans" light and hard shifts, especially 2-3, and 3-2. My basic scanner wuld not read the code. I did some research and purchased an Vident iLink 440 scanner for $140, and it retreaved a P0748 code. Note: the scanner only communicated on Rodeo AW30-40LE, not sure why Trooper wasn't listed. Anyway, it communicated well, retreived the VIN and the trouble code, without any special programming or additional down loads.
P0748 is "Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical". this is also known as the "Force Motor" circuit. When this circuit fails it fails open delivering full pressure. Because I had already checked the wiring, I dropped the small oil pan on the overdrive case, and replaced the force motor, with a used on I had on hand from a prior project. To avoid the oil refil/top-off process, I replaced the oil in the pan before reinstalling.
It works now, the flashing "Check Trans" light cleared itself, and it shifts smoothly.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
If the PCS solenoid coil becomes electrically open the fluid port is wide open which increases the hydraulic line pressure to maximum resulting in harsh shifts. DTC P0748 does not cause the CEL to illuminate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts