Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not ever use the 4WD but notice the green 4WD light going on and off. Push 4WD button - light stops flashing and car is in 4WD. Push 4WD button again, and light continues to flash, and from the feel, car is still in 4WD.

Am looking for way to keep it out of 4WD (wife's car) and solution to:
a) How to disengage the 'random' 4WD, turning off the flashing 4WD light
b) How to disconnect electronic 4WD so that it will stay in 2WD.

Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
289 Posts
are you in 4 low? if so it will not shift to 2wd. if you want it to stay in 2wd. you can disconect the front actuator coupler and tape it up.they should be on the tranny. I would also share what model year and engine your rig has. If it is electronic actuator like some 2nd gens you may have a connection problem. try to see if the coupler is set and the wire is good. sounds like you will need to make a conection to be able to disengage 4wd. Not sure what model you have though.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Sometimes they can be tricky to disengage.

Do you have uneven front tire wear perchance?

I noticed with mine that when I had uneven tire wear on the front for a while, that just that slight difference in tire size make it difficult to unlock. I would have to zigzag a bit and vary between throttle and coasting. Once I got new tires, it worked like a charm again.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
NOT using the 4wd is what causes this. The front axle actuator gets gummed up and sticks. Try this with the engine running, disengage the 4wd and crawl under and gently tap the actuator. It might be enough to get it to disengage. If that doesn't work, you'll have to take it off, slide the fork over and the collar on the axle and reassemble. Then, just don't push the button again for the 4wd.

·
Registered
289 Posts
check to see if the actuator is full of gear oil. I have used the 4wd often so I have never run into the issue. I did lose 4wd once on the trail because there wasn't enough gear oil in it. another time the actuator wire at the tranny was damaged.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
You can try pushing the 4wd button then swapping the vacuum hoses on the actuator to see if that pulls it over, but as others have said, the front axle actuator might be stuck. I put mine in 4wd at least once a month to keep the actuator functioning. Swapping the hoses (temporarily) will work if the 2wd VSV is bad. Its usually the front actuator that sticks, not the t-case actuator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.