Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

New to this forum.I am currently living in NW China where the winters are Dam cold -25 celius.I want to buy one of these http://www.justauto.com.au/just4x4s/know/news/e6fd5851-c44a-4bba-9260-c33d13053f03 well the Chinese equivalent it is just a re badged Isuzu.

It is a 2.8 turbo diesel.

They tell me it will take 20 minutes to start in the cold winters we have here.I'm guessing that is the time it takes the glow plugs to warm up?

Does anyone know if that is the case is there a fix I can do to shorten this starting time.

Starts fine in 5 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
engine warm up, not glow plug warm up
glow plug it twice, crank it, then let it sit...

you could get a "quick warm up" fitting from a 3.1 or 3.0 trooper exhaust... not all have them however

·
Registered
827 Posts
Coldest I have started my 2.8tdi with no warm up device (removed it) and just using glow plugs was -9 and it started after two cycles of the glow plugs.

Give the key turn a go until the glow plug light goes out, takes about 10 seconds in the really cold weather, then repeat but let the light go out and wait for a click about 10 more seconds (you will see your volt metre raise) and hear a relay click then give it a turn, in you case you may have to repeat this but it should all take about 1 to 2 minutes max.
Oh keep your foot on the clutch and pump the gas a tad when cranking and make sure your battery is about 100aha and you should be fine if your fuel doesnt freeze :shock:

I have just had a thought, is your a Landwind? if so I think they have Mitsubishi engines in them rather than Isuzu engines?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I bet it was really rattley being that cold. The colder an engine is the harder it is on it and all the components to start it. I suggest a magnetic attaching block heater because you can place it and route the plug and have it set up to plug in when ever you park (longterm) like over night. Bonuses you get heat quicker, it takes way less cranking amps to rotate, which in turn work everything less.
Glow plugs can burn out especially when you have to cycle them numerous times. Its just nice to have a back up plan in that cold of weather in my opinion.

·
Registered
827 Posts
It usually is rattly for the first few hundred yards :lol:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
find one with the 2.8L not the 3.1L

the all 2.8L are DI injected where the 3.1L is IDI injected in a on road engine, the 3.1L IDI will be much harder to start at cold temps

a good running 2.8L can start at 0C even if the the glows are not working at all.
it will take some cranking and it will shake, miss and spit for a bit quite bad for a min or so, but it will start. if its a good engine.

where a 3.1L at the same 0C will need a block heater or something sprayed in the intake :twisted: to start it, if the glows are not working.

at those temps id reccomend blocking part of the rad and\or a electric fan to speed up warming.

and yes sitting at idel 20 min to heat up would be about right when its -25C out. with the stock clutch fan is about right.
in general all the Isuzu diesels burn very little fuel at idel thus warm up time is longer.

my 2.2L diesel is about 30\36OZ of fuel an hour at idle, and there's 128OZ in a usa gal.
so i can idle about 3.8 hours on one gal of diesel 8)

·
Registered
827 Posts
The 2.8 also has a marine variant if I am not mistaken, and these do a lot of idling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help.

Yes it is a Landwind X6.

The problem I have is I can not park the car near my unit so I can not plug in a heating blanket.It doesn't worry me if it doesn't start at home.When I go to the mountains and go skiing all day and come back and it won't start I will have no one to help me and will be in the middle of no where.

I have found a Landwind X6/trooper/frontera 2.8 diesel second hand 2007 model 100Klms on the clock.Needs a new clutch but apart from that in good condition.It was hard to start but it had been sitting there for 3 weeks not used.

My mechanic friend said being that it had done 100k it probably needed the injectors serviced too.He said that was expensive.He said he used a Toyota diesel troop carrier for work in the snowy mountains and it was always hard to start in winter at around -10C.

He told me to look for a petrol engine.He said if the turbo goes I am up for big money to fix that.

I am thinking a petrol engine now.

There are plenty of Landwind X6 diesels driving around here(have been for a few years now) makes me wonder how they go about starting them in winter.The Chinese are new to cars and really don't have much mechanical sense.They do have alot of patience though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts