Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all brand new here and brand new to Isuzu. I just purchased the above and the engine needs to be replaced. I would like to put a 3.2 V6 in it and an automatic transmission. There is little to no information online or on Youtube about this. Again so little info on these vehicles of people that have actually done the swap.

I know I will need to change wire harness and computers that does not scare me as I have to pull the carpet out might as well pull the dash as well. I know I will need to change the motor mounts but will I need to change out the cradle as well or can I just bolt the 3.2 mounts to the existing cradle? Going to an automatic I am assumeing I will need to swap the transmission cradle and the rear drive shaft. Does the Automatic transmission have a computer that plugs into the wire harness? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,783 Posts
These vehicles do not have a "cradle" they are body on frame. Any modifications will need to be done to the frame itself.

If you are going to all this bother, I would put in a manual transmission. These autos are problematic.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I second that. Putting in an auto will significantly shorten the life of the Amigo, stick with the stick ;)

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,421 Posts
This can be done easier with access to a donor car, even if at a junkyard. I'm saying this because you will need almost everything out of the 3.2, The trannys are different and the wire harness and PCM, or ECM, not sure what they call it but it will need to match the engine and tranny that your swapping., Also, probably not an issue but the 2.2 will have rear drum brakes while the 3.2 has disc brakes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might be easier to do a non isuzu swap. Maybe an old buick 3.8 with a carb and hei distributor backed by a turbo 350 automatic. Then you could by pass the ecu. I was just at the you pull junkyard today and saw a old buick century woodie wagon with a 3.8 carb. That was a great motor. I know the rover guys snap them up fast.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,421 Posts
That would be an option if your in an area where there's no heavy smog rules. Keep in mind the 3.8 is a 90 degree engine so it's wider than the 2.8 or 3.4 GM's. But would be easy to hook everything up and wouldn't have the fuel injection with the ECM to contend with. Might have to retract that on engine width. Just did some checking and I don't believe there's that much of a difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw an amigo on the net years ago with a LS1 and a 700 automatic. It was a lowered street rod. The header - spark plug set up must have been a pain. Years ago i helped a guy put a 429 into a 67 Ranchero. We used a hole saw and cut holes in the fender wells to get to the plugs and header bolts.

·
Registered
2003 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd 2.2l 5spd, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport 4wd 3.2l Auto
8 Posts
Does the Automatic transmission have a computer that plugs into the wire harness? Thanks.
There isn't a separate transmission (TCM). The wire harness is engine and transmission combined and plugs into the one computer (PCM) mounted up top. Be careful to match that PCM with the same or similar year engine. They did some changes to the PCM wiring through the years. You can buy a very good set of manuals with full schematics for a Honda Passport or Isuzu Rodeo on EBAY on the cheap, and it will apply to much of your Amigo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts