Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My 98 Rodeo (V6, 2WD) has 103K miles on it and I am looking around to find a shop to replace Timing Belt+Tensioner+Water Pump. The lowest I found was a dealer for $600-650 (another one asked for $1200 for the same job). Does this sound about rigth? too expensive? There is no way I could do this by myself, so it had to be done somewhere.
I live in Southern California, if anyone could recommend a shop that could do it for less.
Thanks very much in advance for your help and time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I try and do most of the work on my rodeo thanks to the haynes manual but for my wifes van, Firestone beat all the other offers I had by at least 100$. After they give you a price ask if thats the best they can do. A lot of times they can cut the price down on their quotes, you just have to ask.

·
Registered
591 Posts
$600-650 is cheap for that. Most dealer service depts charge that for a (single axle) brake job these days!! :shock: :roll: .

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually found a local shop that will do water pump, tensioner, timing belt, outside belts and spark plugs for $550. Luckily, he is AAA-approved, so I will save additional 10% from the final price with my AAA card.

Of course, the parts are "after-market" instead of OEM (except the tensioner and spark plugs). Would this make that much difference? Are there certain brands to avoid for this kind of job?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
call me quirky, but I think if you are going to lay out the cash to get a job like that done, lay out the cash to get the good parts. I am pretty picky about what parts I put on my vehicles. The genuine parts are designed for the vehicle and usually manufactured to a higher standard than aftermarket (unless it is an upgrade of some kind) or even OEM parts. Personally, I'd buy the parts from Isuzu, then have them installed wherever you feel comfortable.

If it helps, I had my 60k mi. service, spark plugs, and the timing belt replaced at the dealer recently and if cost about $700.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took your advice and went with the dealer. The total was $700 for timing belt, tensioner, water pump, spark plugs and oil/filter change. The local shop asked the same amount if he used OEM parts, but could not provide warranty on the parts. So, the obvious choice was the dealer.
Thanks again for the feedback so far!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.