Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planing on putting together a custom fully duel manifold back system were I have a separate pipe coming of each manifold then going into a duel in/duel out muffler and two come out of the muffler and go out the back. So I would have one pipe for the driver side three cylinders and one pipe for the passenger side three cylinders to have a completely independent duel system. What I'm wondering is if any one has any suggestions for what size pipe I should use and what muffler to make for an exhaust tone that is deeper and louder then stock but not tooooo loud. Also wondering if there are any companies that make headers for the 98 Rodeo/Passport 3.2L

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
There are headers in the making, by Pacesetter. For pipe size, on a duel exhaust you probably shouldn't go over 2". Someone will chime in that has more experience on running duels on a small cubic inch engine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any one? Any ideas for a pipe diameter and muffler brand combo for a dually system that will give me a deeper and a bit louder then stock exhaust tone? Or maybe a pipe diameter and muffler brand combo for a single system (since more people have that) that will give me a deeper and a bit louder then stock exhaust tone?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have just replaced my muffler with a vortex muffler and a single 2.5" pipe. Everybody loves the tone. Here is the site http://www.supremeperformance.com/default_home.htm

I like the write up on the spintech.

http://www.off-road.com/ford/flashback/ ... /spin.html

Here is a little on exhaust theory

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneo ... theory.htm
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0054&P=1

I have read a lot on exhaust systems and if I was to design a dual system for a rodeo/passport I would first

-Lift the truck 3"
-Get the exhaust gases out as soon as possible by using sidepipes. (I would love to use heavy gauge stainless pipes for both exhaust pipes and boulder bars/
-On each side forego the mufflers and use two all steel fast flow reflective resonators. (After looking into this I'm starting to think the muffler industry is a scam)

Later model factory cats are fast flowing and excellent cast iron. The cats are estimated to last up to 10 to 15 years. If you are going to replace the cats try to meet california emission standards and also look into fast flowing Quiet Cats. See if you can get away with using multiple resonators that step up with pipesize and then decrease to the original pipe size. Bigger is not better with a 3.2 engine. The shorter the distance the exhaust has to travel to get out of the system the better.

To your original question.
I would measure the pipe after the cat and then increase the pipe one size up. If it is too loud reduce the size of the pipe at the exhaust tip to the orginal size before you increased the pipe size.

John

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, duelly doesnt seam to be worth it, so I think i'm gona stick with a single and 2.5" piping, but what muffler brand & model will give me to deep and slightly louder tone?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Dynomax... the ultra flow, adn super turbo both sound good on smaller v6s...

They are readily avail, and have neevr had a rpoblem with them....

Also, teh Flowtech terminator muffler just sounds mean ona v6.....but a little pricey just for tone....

Chase

·
Registered
823 Posts
I wouldnt ever bother putting a glasspack on anything, ever.

with exhaust technology what it is today, you should never need to to even think about them.

Now, mufflers flow, adn sound great, PLUS, a good portion of the higher end ones, are made out of stainless, and all of the true performance mufflers are fully welded, for strength and reliablility...

Glass pack just arent worth the 15-20 bucks, because once you put your 2nd on, you have already become equalk to a Dynomax superturbo(that will last damn near forever, adn your third, you are at a flowmaster etc..

They just arent plain worth it, this isnt the 60s-70s.....

Besides, have you ever heard a smaller engine with one of those things...ughhh, obnoxious....

My 2 cents
Chase

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
yeah i have heard a small engine with one. my buddies jeep has one and it sounds funny as crap. i was gonna get a flowmaster anyways, after a lift and tires

·
Registered
31 Posts
Iev got a Dynomax ultraflow on my 3.5L trooper, and I love it. Everyone likes the tone it gives. Ive never heard a flowmaster on an Isuzu, but I did have one on a oldsmobile that i used to own with a buick 3300 V6, and it sounded very good as well. If you dont want it too loud, you could go with 2 1/4" exhaust, too. it might help it keep quiet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.