Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Planet!

Suzy is startin to act up on me again. Shes my '98 Rodeo 3.2 DOHC, 2wd, automatic. Whenever I crank her up to go anywhere the idle shoots straight up to around 2000 rpms then after 10-20 seconds drops to around 1500 rpms, constantly. After I've let the motor warm up for about 1-2 minutes, and it's completed the open-loop, I'll put it in drive and the idle drops to 1000 rpms. My owners manual says 750 rpms for idle, but normally she idles right around 500 rpms. I've unplugged the TPS and IACV at idle, and nothing changed, except a CEL. Any ideas on what's goin on here?

BTW, I live in SC and average temp the last few weeks has been 90+, so I'm figurin the heat aint affectin it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
When is the last time you did a full tune up including plug wires? My 2.6 acts like that (only it doesn't rev up as high) when its begging for new plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnnie59 said:
When is the last time you did a full tune up including plug wires? My 2.6 acts like that (only it doesn't rev up as high) when its begging for new plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
Its the Gen 2 6VD1, so no wires, its got Coil on Plugs. I haven't changed plugs in probably 25,000-30,000 miles though

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Trying cleaning out your EGR valve and/or spray some cleaner in your throttle body and wipe out all the carbon with an old t-shirt.

That will make a huge difference in the way your truck runs. Try that and let us know if it still does it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
black98rodeo said:
Trying cleaning out your EGR valve and/or spray some cleaner in your throttle body and wipe out all the carbon with an old t-shirt.

That will make a huge difference in the way your truck runs. Try that and let us know if it still does it.
Brandon, I picked up a new EGR gasket and some Deep Creep earlier, and I'm waitin on her to cool off. I hope that does it cause if not I'm stumped...

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Oh ok. My Civic was doing what you were describing so I cleaned out the throttle body and it hasn't done it since.

Im sure it'll take care of the problem.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
black98rodeo said:
Oh ok. My Civic was doing what you were describing so I cleaned out the throttle body and it hasn't done it since.

Im sure it'll take care of the problem.
Well I cleaned my EGR tube, valve, and throttle body and after that I fired her up and she idled nice at around 800 rpms. About 3-4 hours later my girlfriend and I went to the movies with some friends and I drove, and I'll be damned if it didn't start idlin high again. All thats left is the IAC valve it has to be that. I'll be headin out later today to pick one up and hopefully that cures it for good.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Well damn. I just knew that wasn't going to do it for ya.

Yeah try that and see what happens.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
black98rodeo said:
Well damn. I just knew that wasn't going to do it for ya.

Yeah try that and see what happens.
Yea man my first thought was a bad IAC, but when I unplugged it and nothing changed I changed my mind. But after thinkin about it for a while the IAC could stick open too and cause that bad idle problem.

I'll be changin it here in a couple hours and I'll let yall know how it turns out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys, the new IAC aint changed a dang thing... Its still idlin beyond high, and I'm runnin outta sensors to change, and patience.

If anyone has any suggestions please drop me a line. I love my Rodeo, but I hate havin to drive her in this condition. My gas mileage has dropped from around 19 mpgs average to 10-12 mpgs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally a breakthrough!

Dallas mentioned the Intake Manifold Gaskets could be leakin, so after some wrenchin, cussin, and a can of Copenhagen I swapped out the gaskets. Viola! She idles like a champ again.

Thanks goes out to Dallas for his Isuzu knowledge, and Brandon for actually replyin to my thread, thanks yall!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Your welcome man. I would have never thought to look there. Glad you got it figured out. :wink:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
black98rodeo said:
Your welcome man. I would have never thought to look there. Glad you got it figured out. :wink:
Yea well I went through dang near everything else, then I got ahold of Dallas and that was the first thing he said. Few days later, and some new gaskets and she's back up and running.

Thanks again for the help bud

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
:wink:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brandon, not to threadjack, but whats the Isuzu Outlaws?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
It's your thread, so techincally you can't hijack it. :D

It's a group/gang Me and Taylor started. :lol:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is true lol.

Hell yea man thats awesome!

How much are dues?