Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 98 Amigo with 56k miles 9 months ago. It now has 66k miles. It died in flight on the freeway, and I've been told the timing belt broke. Mechanic is saying that it may need an upper engine rebuild because of the design of the engine - but he hasn't pulled it apart yet. All I'm seeing is lots of $$$ signs - $2600 for a used engine installed. Did not know about the safety campaign recall on it, so the recall work was not done :(

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Nope, you're safe. This is 100% definitely not an interference engine. The early (pre-91) Trooper 4cyl engines were interference.

Have your mechanic install a new water pump when he replaces the belt. If the belt just broke and things spin freely, do not let him take the heads off. The only reason to take them off would be if something seized up, which then caused the belt to break. The belt breaking itself is harmless to the engine, other than leaving you cussing at it beside the road.

-Tad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That's good news.I hope that's what I hear. I did call an Isuzu dealership the day I was told it was the timing belt and maybe the engine, and I spoke with a service writer. He checked with a tech and called me back and told me that it was likely that there IS damage. It's a complicated situation, but at this point I believe they were pulling the heads (this is the 2.2 engine) to get them to the machine shop to test them. ? (The vehicle is not at the dealership)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Unfortunately the 1998+ 2.2L is definately a valve crasher. This is not one of the best designed engines out there (compliments of GM) & from what I understand, they commonly throw a timing belt & trash themselves every 50K miles or so. I guess the weak point is either the T-belt idler(s) or the tensioner. That gets some play in it causing the belt to slip & eventually slip off/fail all together :shock: :x . The only PM remedy is to changeout the T-belt & associated hardware every 40K.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The report from the machine shop is that the pistons look good, it does not have a blown head gasket, and the cylinder head can be rebuilt. Also -- new spark plugs and wires, new water pump, new idler pulley, new tensioner pulley - all OEM parts. Isuzu told me that the work being done and the prices seem "reasonable". So instead of $2600 for a used engine, it's $1800 to rebuild.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Hi,
the 2.2L motor will kill all 16 valves if the timing belt snaps. I have sold ALOT of belt tensioners, idler pulleys and timing belts. The 2.2L has been in almost every GM product built. Its in the S10 (8 vlave head not 16) and in Daewoo Laganza 2.0L and 2.2L, cavaliers etc. FWD RWD doesnt matter, pretty much the same block and components. You can get a rebuilt Head on Ebay for about 500.00 and the timing parts are about 200.00 for the tensioner (i only have 3 left - 1 is on ebay for $25.00 lowzoneatverizon), timing belt and idler pulleys. The idler pulleys are the major problem, they seize and melt the timing belt and Snaparoo - your on the side of the road. good luck
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This story has a happy ending for me. A very sharp service writer called her Isuzu zone rep. The end result is that I am getting a brand new engine put into my Amigo. She assures me that the new engine will not have the problems with the timing belt. Since she's been with Isuzu for 14 years, I think she knows what she is talking about. The company that I bought the vehicle from wanted to rebuild the cylinder heads. So even though I talked to an Isuzu dealership, then Isuzu Motors of America, I finally got to the right person!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.