Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
I finally got a day to work on the amigo. Upper balljoints were toast and squeaky so we replaced those and flipped them to go along with a bit more of a front end lift. Bumper took a pretty good hit so I resprayed it... I think it makes the dents more noticable now haha but overall better. While working on the car I noticed the rotors are way past the end of their life and into the bare metal. Saving the lower balljoints until I get new brakes so I can do it all at once.
Screenshot_20210612-160023_Gallery.jpg

20210612_160054.jpg

Screenshot_20210612-160121_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Haven't updated in a little bit. New rotors and pads are on, still haven't gotten around to doing the lower balljoints.

Took her on a little 4x4 camping trip last month and my dumb *** forgot my tent. I had to sleep in the back of the Amigo, which as a 6'2 adult I really don't recommend.

At one point we realized there was a bit of a jump at the private camp site, and well I sent her a little too deep and now need new front shock bushings.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The amigo is definitely better right now. It's got like twice the power, the ride is a lot smoother, the LSD helps a bunch, has a proper handbrake for hillstarts, and I don't have to worry about departure angle. Having a winch is nice too, I've never had to rescue myself but I've pulled some people out

I trust the truck more for reliability, the steering and shifting feel less mushy, and it's super practical. Just not as capable, but I plan on changing that hopefully soon

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Merry Christmas everyone! Bought Smeags a little gift, a deep dish steering wheel. Couldn't really find any info on whether or not this would work besides people doing grant hubs/wheels. Turn signals still work too, I was worried about the clock spring compatibility. Just need to get a nice Isuzu sticker made for the horn, or maybe the 1st gen amigo cursive logo.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

3 of my buddies got new rigs in the past month or two, one of which is a manual 93 trooper. So we took the amigo out with them on sunday for a little shakedown day. Let me know if you guys like this type of stuff. Next time I need to remember to bring my gopro so I can get more footage on the actual trails. We ran into a brand new Rivian that was stuck on the same trail our $1500 Isuzus were clearing with ease. Money can't buy skill!

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Pickup 4WD 2.6 5sp
150 Posts
Hell yea dude! Looks like great times. Thanks for turning me on to The Bees :D - digging it! Let me know if you ever make it to AZ. We also have a cheap 03 XL-7 so I think we subscribe to a similar ethos: Low cost, low weight, low gears.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We've kind of been thinking about a big trip out that way, kind of like a bucket list thing. We want to hit Utah and New Mexico, probably stopping in Vegas to visit family. Not sure when this would happen, probably not this year.

A Suzuki XL-7! My buddy with the sidekick was just telling me yesterday about how he wants one of those. How is it?

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Pickup 4WD 2.6 5sp
150 Posts
A Suzuki XL-7! My buddy with the sidekick was just telling me yesterday about how he wants one of those. How is it?
Underrated! Body on frame with a 2 speed transfer case. We fit bigger Cooper ATs to it with the PO's spacers and it's handled fine and walked up some decently steep slippery slopes. It's verrrrry tight under the hood but I was able to change out all the O2 sensors and we just put a new radiator in a couple weeks ago. It's got 260k miles and no CEL (not sure how).

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Have you had any cooling issues with all that stuff in front of the radiator? I plan on doing something pretty similar. My buddy has been having cooling issues on his 4Runner because so much of the radiator is blocked up by the winch/bumper/lights.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Have you had any cooling issues with all that stuff in front of the radiator? I plan on doing something pretty similar. My buddy has been having cooling issues on his 4Runner because so much of the radiator is blocked up by the winch/bumper/lights.
The amigo did have bad overheating issues when we got it, but it was only during bad traffic or slow uphill off roading. Upgrading the radiator to that thick racing style on page 1 one solved our problems. My pickup front end is even more blocked up and has never overheated. So I'm not really sure, since we never owned the Amigo without all the stuff up front.

Before you respray it might be worth trying to wet sand that cloudy clear coat and polish it up. I had good results when me and my buddy fixed my similar looking cloudy clear coat (mostly him).
I tried hitting it with some compound and a DA polisher which does get rid of some of that haze but the problem is the blue underneath is much darker than the rest of the car. It's more of a navy than a light blue

edit: Looking at your second picture does give me some hope though. It's worth a shot

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Okay so coming in confident I tried wet sanding the whole hood, the problem was that the messed up clear coat bubbles are so thick and once you get through that layer the paint underneath is really thin. Needless to say I buggered the whole thing, with a couple bare metal spots. Oops.

Plan B, damage control. I remember seeing a spray paint color at the auto store that was damn near identical. Spray and prayed it on in the parking lot of my apartment in the wind. Then put a layer of clearcoat, also with a rattle can. For an idiot with a spray can, it didn't come out half bad. Should hold us off until we properly spray it with a spray gun and a garage.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The harbor freight winch has been broken for a while, finally replaced the solenoids and while I had it open I bought a $20 Amazon wireless remote kit which works great. Also replaced the stock steel cable with a synthetic line. Took her out to the dirt today and let the wifey get some good seat time/practice.

Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Car

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Audio equipment Circuit component Cable

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant community
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just read through the thread, that sucker is sweet man!!!! If you don't mind me asking, how is the bumper attached to the frame? Ima be building a front bumper eventually with the goal of running a winch and I love where yours sits. I don't want to interfere with the grill too much (I don't mind trimming it if needed), but I don't want to have the winch sitting too high.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts