Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a real hard time trying to get a new muffler. The dealer wants $550 for the muffler alone $1100 for the whole job! thats crazy.

I just want a good muffler. None of the discount muffler shops carry anything that fits. I have found a shop that will custom install if I find a muffler that fits.

I've been looking at Mangaflow,Gibson,Dynomax,Bosal,Flo-Pro and only two of these have something that could work.

I do a lot of highway driving, has anyone got some advice?

Thanks

Lars in Minnesota

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any muffler shop worth it's salt can install any muffler you want to put in. They just need to figure the pipe diameters and extend the inlet/outlet on the muffler to fit in the space left when your factory muffler is removed. With parts, the job will run about $250 here in Oregon.

HTH...

·
Registered
591 Posts
kuranosuke said:
Any muffler shop worth it's salt can install any muffler you want to put in....
No doubt about it! If they can't, they shouldn't be touching exhaust systems in the first place. There is nothing *special* about the systems on our trucks.

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
19 Posts
since the money is being spent, I wouldnt touch the stock setup. A quality aftermarket with easier breathing will yield more power and mileage. Just dont go with one of those folger can rice rocket jobs please! LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Magnaflow name seems to be the choice, is that the 5 11? Also I'll take a little more noise in trade for some preformance.

Anybody try the Dynomax Ultra flow?

And what is the reason for limited availability of mufflers. My guess is that I am ahead of most people needing a muffler because I live in Minnesota (snow+ salt) and for the past 5 years I have had it in a heated garage during the day and a home garage during the night, so there have been 2 freeze thaw cycles a day. Any thoughts?

Lars

·
Registered
894 Posts
"And what is the reason for limited availability of mufflers. My guess is that I am ahead of most people needing a muffler because I live in Minnesota (snow+ salt) and for the past 5 years I have had it in a heated garage during the day and a home garage during the night, so there have been 2 freeze thaw cycles a day. Any thoughts?"

My thought is that the shops you are checking with are not that competent and/or you are not asking the right questions.

Like noted already any good muffler shop can install pretty much install any muffler that physically fits under the car. Of course if you ask the dealer they will reply with their only option - the factory original setup (read pricey). If you ask what will EXACTLY fit the current piping, shape and front to rear spacing you will also get a very limited number of answers. Instead if you ask what can can be installed in the diameter you want and the noise/flow characteristics you want, a good shop can weld in a wide variety of very acceptable options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.