Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here goes nothing. I am going to start my build thread. I picked up my rodeo on June 1, 2011. She runs good, shifts good, and has good AC. There were some minor electrical problems that had to be taken care of to begin with. I made the mistake of not taking a picture when we first got it...OOPS!

The first thing we did was get some used tires of the size I wanted to replace the ones that were so bald white was showing through the tread. We found a set of used 285/75/16 on some wheels that wouldn't fit the truck for $200 on CraigsList. I am going to resell the wheels to see if I can get most of the money back. We had the tires put on the stock Isuzu wheels and braced ourselves for the trimming and molding to come. We put the wheels and tires on the truck and WOW....no trimming or molding required...YEAH!!! That is the first picture I have.

Upon close inspection of the front suspension there was a front shock that was actually broken so all of this will have to be replaced.

Next we worked on the inside electrical problems. When I went to drive the truck home from Houston to College Station after we got some dinner (it was dark) I found out that there were no working dash lights. The radio worked but when you turned the car off it reset the radio. My husband used to install car stereo's and alarms etc. When I told him what the radio was doing he said that it was wired wrong. Well come to find out they hooked the continuous power and the switched power together and blew ALL of the light bulbs in the dash and the dimmer switch. A local salvage yard had a new dimmer switch for $20 and we just happened to have some 194 bulbs laying around the house. However all of the tiny bulbs in the switches were also blown so we ordered them from a website online for $4. These came without the base so I had to thread all of the wires through the plastic bases with forceps and tweezers. I also had to purchase a #74 bulb for behind the AC switch panel from NAPA for $1.50. The radio was also pulled and the wiring harness redone...correctly. I soldered the connections and we heat shrunk them. The radio was also incorrectly mounted in the dash so my husband made custom mounting plates from metal scraps in the garage. The dash was cleaned well and put back together. I also had to do the bulbs in the auto mirror button and the winter and power buttons.

Now onto the fun stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next we cranked the torsion bars and took measurements along the way so that we could get the appropriate shocks. We cranked them 8 full turns which equates to approximately 2".

I got a local welder to fabricate a set of rear shackles like I wanted them. Next we ordered parts.

Skyjacker Shocks for front and rear with pink shock boots
Energy Suspension rear spring bushing kit
Front brake rotors
Front and rear brake pads
Brake hardware
Upper ball joints
Lower ball joints
Inner tie rod ends
Outer tie rod ends
Inner and Outer CV joint boots
Rear Shackles and hardware

This past weekend we did a partial ATF change, changed the oil to Rotella 15w-40 (this is what we use in my husbands diesel so it will be easy), changed oil filter, changed fuel filter, replaced a section of fuel line, and replaced the PCV valve. We also cleaned the outside of the truck as well as the engine and pressure washed the suspension in preparation for this weekend which will be dissasembiling the suspension and replacing all the above ordered parts. We also noted upon cleaning off the engine that the power steering pump has a crack in the housing where one of the bolts goes....looks like someone tightened it too much. This will also have to be replaced. We are going to have a fun weekend.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
sounds like you are doing, in one weekend, just about everything I have done on my truck in the past year :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are going to try. I have a friend coming into town to help because that is a lot of work. I also have a 3 and 5 year old that have to be dealt with at the same time so the extra pair of hands will be useful and much appreciated. We are going to start disassembling tonight and throughout the week. We only have the evenings because my husband works from 8 to 5 and I have the kids all day. My husband is taking off on Friday so that gives us 3 days and my friend will be here all day Saturday.

"E" for effort. We will see how much we can get done. If not there is always next weekend. :D

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
:shock:

Amazing. I will keep my eye :cyclopsani: on this build :lol:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D wow cool looking rodeo. 8) recon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement!!! I am looking forward to getting all of this done so that I can really enjoy my new ride!! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
going to be watching this.....yours looks like my 96 I just got. And finding new issues you didn't know about can be frustrating but sounds like you have some help so that is helpful. Hope you make some good progress over the weekend.

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so we have worked out butts off Friday through Monday. This was definitely one of those cases where nothing went they way it says in the manual, but I guess that's life. The power steering pump has been replaces along with a hose that runs from the reservoir to the pump. The systems still has to be flushed but we will do that later in the week after we get it back on the ground.

The IFS is what really gave us a run for our money. It was like someone welded together every part on this truck. I had to take the power steering pump to an shop to get the bolt removed to get the pulley off since it couldn't be done while on the truck because the mounting brackets were broke. I even have an impact wrench and still no budging. Then I had to take the tie rods attached to the adjuster because they couldn't come off. It to the shop 30 minutes to get them loose. CRAZY!!!

So on the right front side the bearings have been repacked and the new shock mounted. The new ball joints and tie rod ends are in and we are on to the brakes. The left side is completely disassembled and we are cleaning the CV joint and then we will put it back together tonight.

The brakes got us next. When we took the old pads off of the calipers they almost seemed glued together. The dust boot on the piston doesn't look that hot either. So I had an auto part store get me some caliper rebuild kits in today $3.99/ea. While I know people are saying that calipers aren't that expensive, they are $50 a piece and saving that could buy me my manual hubs, so I am off to rebuild calipers now.

With any luck it should be back on its front tires tonight.

It has been 100 degrees here every day and we are working all day and into most of the night. When this is over I am just going to drop. Thank God my husband puts up with all my crap and is willing to do all of this with me and for me. I had never used an impact wrench until this weekend and I think I found my new favorite tool..

Pics will post a later. Don't have the patience right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So back to life as normal today. My husband is back at work, bless his heart. He worked till he dropped for 4 days and now is back at work, what an amazing man. As for me, well I am going to give my kids some much needed attention today. They have been so good for the past 4 days letting us work, they need a little TLC.

As for my beautiful Rodeo....WELL....she is back on 3 out of 4 tires. The Front Right side got completely finished last night. I rebuilt both the front calipers and assembled the brake pads and hardware and then Jason put them on. Jason put the shock on the front left side and I put the new ball joints and tie rod ends on as well. I was also able to get my shackles painted pink last night so in 48 hours they will be ready to go. The hub for the left side is ready to be put on, the bearings have been packed and the oil seal seated. We have to in stall the CV joint on that side and then we will be in business.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We took Monday off to spend some time with our kids and rest. It was back to work on Tursday. We got the CV joint put on the left side and the spindle back on as well with ball joints and tie rod attached. Tonight we will put the hub/rotor assembly back on and finish getting the hub together. Them the calipers and we will be finished with that side.

We still have the rear to do which means shackles, bushings, shocks, and brake pads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far I have pink shock boots and pink shackles for the back but i am trying to decide what else if anything I can make pink. I dont want too much!! Any ideas???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like a lot of work is getting done!

I'll be doing most of what you're doing there within the next moth.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
97RodeoGirl said:
So far I have pink shock boots and pink shackles for the back but i am trying to decide what else if anything I can make pink. I dont want too much!! Any ideas???
Next time you change the rear gear oil, take the cover off, clean thoroughly and then paint it pink too.

Whatever you do... Do NOT paint your driveshaft! Just ask Smiley about that one.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
97RodeoGirl said:
I think the wheels would look good painted pink with the SS trim rings nice and polished and with shiney lug nutz 8)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts