Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!
I have a 97 Isuzu Trooper 3.2 that I bought in Denver Colorado back in 2000. I drove it cross country a month later before moving to Germany. I drove over 6000 miles and averaged about 350 miles per tank (18 MPG). I have been in Germany for 3 1/2 years now and my fuel economy has been dropping off drastically to barely 250 miles per tank (13 MPG). I just rolled over 125,000 miles and did a complete tune up and all the routine service. I loaded up a tank of super plus gasoline and STP fuel injector cleaner...and still haven't seen any improvement in fuel economy. I have checked and ensured no leaks, and I saw some info on replacing the fuel regulator, however the service dept @ my Isuzu dealership (back in Denver) says that the regulator wouldn't be the problem...but couldn't offer me a solution.
Unfortunately the German counterpart to the Trooper dealership (Opel Monterey) can't help because their computer will only read Euro spec models...does anyone have any possible solutions or reccomendations for me?

[email protected]

·
Registered
52 Posts
on some of the 95-97 models there were isuues with injectors leking over time causing excessive fuel consumption

you say you did a full tune up I hope you used NKG spark plugs if not change them these vehicles dont run very well with anything else

your Troopy is not timed to run on superunleaded fuel switch to reg. unleaded

you may want someone to do a fuel leak down test

hope this helps you

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. 2eye is on the right path here. Does the truck start like it is flooded after sitting overnight?

Also, do you have any check engine lights on? Did you replace your O2 sensors?

If you have the wrong sensor or a bad sensor you may not be going into a "closed loop" status. Basically, you'd be using a lot more fuel. Have to find a scan tool and look at long-term and short-term fuel trim numbers. I can't believe they would change the computer for the same truck!! That's not right. Maybe some of those light wheel mechanics on base can help you. Good luck.

-Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.