Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting intermittent CEL. Doesn't seem to be a pattern...just sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not. Gas cap is tight. I've been reading some of the forum notes and it would appear that I need to look towards the O2 sensors. I also need to have the codes checked to help nail it down. Any other suggestions? Also, the vehicle seems to surge from time to time when the CEL is on. This is my wife's vehicle so I'm just repeating what she's told me. I guess I need to keep it a day and check it out myself but wanted to register my question with the group to see if there are any other things to look at with this problem.

mc

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 95.5 Rodeo started acting the same way at 90k, I limped it along until 97k. At which point I brought it to Capital Isuzu in Richmond, VA. They said "two bad cylinders from the computer code" and switched the spark plugs and wires that I had just replaced at 90k!!!! Their response, "Gee, those after market things sometimes don't work as well as OEM." (Yeah, many times they're BETTER!!!)

Anyway, $364 later, I'm out the door, only for the same problem to occur 400 miles down the road. Isuzu in Asheville NC correctly identified the problem, disconnected the O2 sensor, which allowed the car to run in a "default" mode at about 75% capacity, until I could get an O2 sensor and replace it myself.

-Check the O2 sensor
-An idiot mechanic reading the codes is still an idiot mechanic

-Roger89

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the codes checked and they got this info:

P0101, MAF or VAF Ckt Range
P0171, System too lean Bank #1
P0401, Flow Insufficient

The last one is specific to the EGR Valve. I had this done at Autozone for free. The guy told me that the EGR code was probably the cause of the other two since a bad EGR valve disrupts the air flow and can result in a "too lean" condition, hence the second code. He said that the first code could also be caused by a bad EGR valve. He wasn't trying to sell me an EGR valve because, according to all the resources I've checked so far, there is no after market resource for this valve.

Isuzu quotes $175 for the valve and $13 for the gasket. I asked how much to have it changed out by them and they quoted $475, parts and labor. Has anyone changed the EGR valve in this model and if so, is it difficult. It looks simple enough...two bolts and it's fairly accessible at the rear of the engine at the firewall.

Mel

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Another thing with the EGR valve is that you can often clean them. Some carb cleaner, patience and a good tool set can do you wonders.

I'm going to strongly vote for Isuzu spark plug wires. We have found them to be much much better than the aftermarket ones, plus the updated Isuzu wires better seal the spark plug tubes in the valve covers.

If you are at 90k or so, it is about time for o2 sensors anyway. Clean the egr valve first though.

-Tad

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this same problem with my 99 trooper. Mechanic said that it was the intake manifold gasket and egr and carb housing needed to be cleaned. I have seen this same fix in other links on this site. Don't know cost as it was covered by my extended warranty. good luck. the carb cleaner might be a quick short term fix but the problem will probably come back. Make sure you use carb cleaner safe for o2 sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.