Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

First time poster here. I just got a '97 Rodeo 2.6L 5-speed w/112,00K miles and I am having an issue with the standard Pram 3593A oil filter being hit by the center link when turning hard left. I've been a Rodeo 2.6 owner for 10+ years and doing all of my own work and I can't figure why this interference. I compared the clearances between the oil filter and center link with my original '96 2.6L and there really is only about 1/2" or less difference also with the Pram 3593A. Even though small it is enough to avoid interference. Any ideas? As I'm sure anyone who responds would know the '96 and '97 Rodeos were identical with the exception of maybe some electrical. Thanks for any help.

Dave...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Dave,

That's the problem, the "Pram". Try, instead a Hastings, Napa Gold, or even a Fram filter!

HTH,

GB

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Dave,

"mudoilngears" suggestion is excellent. If they have not broken or mangled in someway, check your idler and pitman arms for un-manufactured bends. Same inspection for center link.

HTH,

GB

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
There's also a steering stop at each knuckle, it may be one is out of adjustment & allowing the steering to turn more than normal in one direction. Compare the exposed threads past the jam nut.
Also make sure you don't have a second oil filter gasket left over from a previous filter change stuck to the mating surface, that would make the filter just a bit longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
96’ 2.6l rodeo. I had that happen to me after I changed the idler arm to what is recommended by every Autoparts I went to. You have to get the one WITHOUT a weird bracket on it. Look for it as a trooper. That simpler looking version is about 1/2” longer. Check is the steering center link a bit slanted? Higher on the passenger side? It is supposed to move parallel to the frame. That 1/2” does the difference. I changed my motor mounts prematurely twice because with brand new motor mounts it wasn’t a problem hitting the oil filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts