Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's time for the valve cover gaskets to be replaced, the passenger side is beyond weeping and while it's apart go ahead and get the drivers side too. I was wondering if it as straight forward as removing hoses, connecters, intake plenum with throttle body connected, plugs and coil packs and done?
Any thought or tips appreciated. Jeff

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That's about it. Some manifolds have a bolt on the back of the head passenger side to remove nasty little thing. Use a tiny amount of rtv (my choice is the black adhesive kind) at the cam caps at the bases. Make sure you get the spark plug boots also if they don't come with the valve cover gaskets. Also the upper intake gasket to be safe. If it's all nasty be prepared to wanna pull the lower intake porsion to and clean it.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I can't remember you may find that there actualy a block off cap at the end of the cam in the back. 2.6's have a half moon in the rear of the cable cover. Yours ??? Good call on the gaskets though always go with a good brand. I think even felpro was crappy for that half moon piece and it poured oil out on mine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to get the intake manifold bolts off 8 total. The outer stud nuts and the 2 outer long bolts came off easy but the long middle 4 bolts feel spongy like if I give them some more torque they might break. I have a torque wrench monitoring the torque applied and I am at about 25 lb plus and I am rocking them with pb blaster and they don't won't to go. Any advise?
Jefef

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Try putting a short one back in next to it. They're so long that's not good. Might try to pop on them reall quick to break them loose sometes that can jar it loose. Sometimes the slow twist can snap them off it all depends. if they are that locked in there you might have to do something like grind/cut the head off and pull the upper manifold. Then spray them and use a good pare of vise grips that's worst case cenerio. Be careful !!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got those off by slow back and forth and pb blaster but now the egr exhaust flange on the exhaust manifold (the one with a stud and bolt) the nut on the stud is stripped. I had a breaker bar and it, I heated it twice and it wouldn't come off but now the nut is stripped. It's very tight next to the ac line and steering. I need to find some kind of vise grip device to get on the nut again. Jeff

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would also replace the spark plug gasket tube seals while you are there. And yeah the back passenger side bolt sucks to get off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried using a bolt off by craftsman on the egr bolt and I got about 40 lbs of torque with no luck. Now it is completely stripped. Any ideas?
Jeff

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Do you have means of cutting the head off the bolt??? It would leave a nub for you to get to
Once the egr valve is off !!! A small pipe wrench and spray lube can work wonders sometimes. When all else fails......?????? I'm sorry man!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I just noticed it was a nut on a stud one way I've gotten those off in general.
Take a nice sharp chisel and hit against it in the direction to remove it. Sometimes it will break loose other times you can carefully crack the nut and save the stud lol. Sometimes midevil stuff works the best when hossed dude!!
I hope that works ..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the chisel is probably the best idea. There isn't much room down there, the ac hose and steering is in the way. Tough chiseling and tough to get vise grips on it. I have heated the nut twice and nothing. Time to call it for today.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have, they work ok if you can actually get them positioned right. Most of the time I use a dremel with a small cutoff wheel and its way faster, that way you can cut only what you need. For instances when I changed my rear passenger shock, nothing could get it off no matter how hard I tried, I used a nut cutter but since it was bulky I couldnt get it on straight...dremel cut a slice of the nut off and then grabbed it with vice grips and twisted it off.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You could maybe drill a hole in the nut and then drill one in another edge and try and take a chunk of the nut off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it off by drilling a hole starting at 3/32 then successive sizing up to 1/8. Then I beat it will a homemade chisel made of a piece of re-bar about 16" long heating the nut up and beating till it finally moved, unbelievably it came off in one piece and no damage to he stud. I got down to taking the intake and brackets and all 11 valve-cover bolts (passenger side) and called it to next weekend. Thank god I have three running cars, now 2. I guess you have to take the fuel lines off to get the pass side vc off?
Jeff

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice, make sure you put some anti-seize on it when you put it all back together ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going in for the kill this weekend and I am trying to get my parts together. I've read about the heater o-ring or rings on the back side of the manifold. It's seems logical to get these while the engine is apart. Does anybody know the part# or o-ring size?
Also there are some small hoses to the throttle body and large heater hoses in back on the firewall maybe some of these need replacing.
Jeff

1 - 20 of 49 Posts