Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post here and I'm trying to find out what went wrong with my parent's Trooper.

96 auto trooper
the 4wd shifter will go into 4H, 4L and 2 but the light will not come on and 4wd doesn't engage. We use 4wd practically every day to get home and all was working one day and the next nothing.

I saw through some other sites to check the SOTF but isn't that a button?
through searching I keep getting sent to this link also http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/65 is that what to check?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Not if you have a stick in the floor. If you have a button to go into 4 high then a stick to go into 4 low then yes that's where to start looking.

If you just have a stick in the floor that will take you from 2 high to 4 high then on to 4 low you will need to check out something else.

Do you have auto hubs or manual lock outs, my guess would be autos.

What happens when you put it into 4 high? Any grinding? Any odd noises at all?

Joe

·
Registered
8,073 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok this trooper ONLY has the shifter. I have to put the vehicle in Neutral before I can engage the 4wd.

I don't know about the hubs, I do know that I don't have to manually turn them in like the late 80's troopers.

There is no noise in 4H or 4L

·
Registered
38 Posts
You didn't say anything about noises, but with auto hubs and a traditional t-case, I'm betting that one of your auto hubs has failed. With an open differential in the front, one failed hub is all it would take.

If you don't have to get out and turn the hubs, they're auto hubs. Manual hubs require you to lock them in manually--hence the terminology.

There's a wide assortment of aftermarket hubs out there--both auto and manual. The consensus among Isuzu fanatics is that the best hubs for Troopers are Aisin manual hubs and as far as I know you can only get them off an older Trooper. You might be able to get them from an Isuzu dealer, but I'd bet they'll be expensive.

Superwinch manual hubs are popular and Warn makes a manual hub that will fit but isn't exactly designed for the Trooper. There's also an outfit in Brazil that makes a manual hub specifically for the Trooper, but I can't recall their name right now.

You could probably get used auto or manual hubs from a junkyard Trooper for cheap. Replacing them isn't all that hard, you don't even have to jack up the vehicle. 6 bolts, one spring clip and the hub is off. Installation is the reverse--new hub, spring clip, 6 bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were never any strange noises when engaging 4wd. It was just "worked one day, didn't the next."

Is there a way to check if the hubs are infact defective?

EDIT: also would 1 bad hub make the 4x4 light not activate?

·
Registered
38 Posts
One bad hub would pretty much make your 4wd useless. Since the differential in the front is open, when one wheel starts slipping (or when one hub fails) you're pretty much done applying any force to the ground with both front tires. I've blown a hub miles from help and had to walk out to get a new hub. A perfect example of why recreational off-roaders like to travel with a buddy or three.

One bad hub probably would not cause the 4WD light to not come on. The light is likely triggered by a sensor on the t-case or t-case shifter. Someone else might have a better answer on that one. It's possible that your t-case shift linkage is in need of adjustment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is a 96 trooper; wouldn't it have drive flanges? They don't go bad and there is no grinding noise which a bad hub will usually make, even a while before it stops working. Doesn't the front axle have a vacuum disconnect that can go bad? Shift into 4x4 jack up the rear, try driving the car and checking if the front drive shaft is spinning (safely). If its spinning and neither axle shaft are spinning, then the problem is with the vacuum system in the front diff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
badercarma said:
Shift into 4x4 jack up the rear, try driving the car and checking if the front drive shaft is spinning (safely). If its spinning and neither axle shaft are spinning, then the problem is with the vacuum system in the front diff.
Jack up the front and the rear. Make sure that all four wheels are off the ground if you do this. Just pointing out the obvious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.