Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am having an issue with the Rodeo's heater/AC/fan controls. They do not work at all. The lights do not come on, and no matter what switch you put anywhere, nothing. Absolutely no air moves through the vents. I have checked the relays under the hood and all the fuses and all checked out fine. I have the dash apart right now and everything is plugged in and seems normal.

Is is possible for the whole HVAC switch unit to go out? Or is there somewhere else I should look? Winter is coming soon and I don't want my Fiance freezing! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok guys, I got the problem fixed! I took some pics and documented it, so I figure I will do a little write-up for other people that may have this problem. It is really an easy fix!

So, first off you need to take out the glovebox... And let me say this vehicle is the easiest glove box removal I have ever seen. Just remove the 2 screws at the bottom and the whole thing just pops out. Now, I first suspected the 'blower' or 'fan' motor itself... So I took that out and hooked it directly to the battery and it turned on. Then I looked at this thing:

It is a 'relay' for the fan motor. It's just 2 screws and the thing comes out. Unplug it and start getting the soldering iron hot!

It says on the relay "DO NOT REPAIR." I have never seen anything like that before and I figured I would rather try to repair it rather than drop $40 on a new one. Well, the reason it says "do not repair" is because there is no way to get the plastic casing off of the sides... So I did what seemed best and broke the plastic off. I used a small flathead screwdriver and just chipped the sides away and ended up with this:

The solder had weakened and 2 of the contacts where completely detached (labeled in above pic). I soldered the the contacts back on, plugged it in and voila! Good air movement through all vents!

Notes:
This is what I did to fix my problem, and I am in no way responsible if you attempt this yourself and mess something up.

There are 5 contacts, two on one-side, three on the other.

Also, I noticed there was a bunch of dried leaves in the heater-core casing... I didn't think it was too good of an idea to have kindling floating around one of the hottest parts of the vehicle. So, I decided to take the bottom half of the casing off to clean it out... BIG MISTAKE! I have done complete engine swaps that were easier than getting that damn case half back on! Anyway, I figured since I don't EVER want to do that again, I got some micro-screens and super glued one inside the case where the 'breather' hole is that goes through the firewall. Thanks for the time and I hope this helps someone out in the future!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great to know dude. Will keep this in mind if the problem ever arises!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts