Isuzu SUV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
MSD Coil Packs. I think I'll choose a different color spark plug wire next time I replace them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I replaced the Condenser, Drier, Expansion Valve, and Compressor before I took it to the shop to find out that the compressor was busted. Going to re oil and add a a new compressor this week or next.

Also, this first picture was when I was still hunting down my oil leak. Turned out that I left out a bolt that held on the pipe that connects the oil filter/cooler to the pump. This particular bolt also went directly into the oil pump. Once I installed a bolt, my oil leak ended. I took off the timing belt cover to help figure out where the leak was. Thought it was a cool picture.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
And my cable frayed. Still trying to figure out a permanent solution.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Did some cuttings and got a good fit. This is a base model 1995, so none of the wires for the map lights or the compass are there.

I wired the map light to the dome light wire that runs up the passenger column, but something is off.

Tried punching a hole here. Didn't work. Drilled it out, and didn't work either. Ended up drilling out the left most hole (the one under the hammer claw in the picture) and installing the temp sensor. I don't have a picture for it yet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I found this leather steering wheel in the yard. I want to get it wrapped in black leather and I want to explore adding a heating element. Heated steering wheels are fantastic in the cold, and if I'm getting it wrapped anyway, adding the heating element shouldn't be too hard.

I went ahead and took the wood grain horn button surrounds off and tacked them on my non leather steering wheel when I straightened it. I like how it matches the rest of the interior.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I'm wanting to install the rear gate handle. I grabbed a back door connecting rod from the drivers side, but it doesn't look long enough. If I can't find one, I may have to fabricate one. I have all the plastic bits (connecting rod ends, handle, handle screw holder), but I haven't checked my latch mechanism to see if there is a spot to put the rod through.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
First desert trip from a month or two ago, before the oil leak fix.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good to hear that your oil leak was an easy fix!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
July Update:

• My transfercase looks like it's leaking out the drain hole. I guess I need to find appropriate sized copper washers and put some thread locker on the threads to see if that helps seal it.
    [/*]
  • I lost power on the freeway, and noticed that my EGR back pressure device was blown up. Then the EGR valve was busted. Then the EGR pipe was cracked. Took it to the exhaust shop and found that the cats were gone. Had a new exhaust system installed. Had the shop cut out the restrictors. They also expanded those y pipe inlets, and cut out the y pip outlet to expand it as well. Flowmaster 50 muffler, new cats, new tip. It's amazing. Drives and shifts like a new car now.
    [/*]
  • It is still stalling when cold and hunting for idle. I'm going to have the shop do a vacuum test when they add the freon to the system.
    [/*]
  • Installed the new compressor. I think I need to add a little more oil to the system overall, but this compressor turns and it's going to the shop soon.
    [/*]
  • Got the dome lights and compass installed correctly. The screen is a little wavy. I might swap it out with another screen that is straight.
    [/*]
  • I ran the passenger switch to the back gate. It works well. I need to cut a hole in the side panel and mount it.
    [/*]
  • I painted the skid plates. Will install them soon, or after I handle the reverse light switch and address the oil leaks.
    [/*]
  • A 92 came into the yard, and I was able to grab the latch, handle, and connecting rod. You can now get out the back gate.[/*]

After the AC, vacuum check, and a few more cosmetic things, I should be done with the initial build.

Here's the list update, it's basically done!.

- Things that still need work
--- It's leaking oil :(
--- I have a weird idle pattern. Need to check the wiring on the TPS, IACV, and MAP sensors. Going to have a professional check for vacuum leaks
--- I buggered up the ac controls for the vent position. Also the light doesn't come on for the AC when the button is pushed in.
--- One of the belts needs a little tightening
--- One of the doors still needs the interior handle to be attached

--- Heated seat doesn't work and the light doesn't come on for the switch on the driver's side
--- Safety belt ends don't match up and need to be changed on the rear seats.

- Other things that I have to do.
--- Change out the break in oil.
--- Change the fluids on the transmission, transfer case, and differentials
--- Install OME springs and shocks
--- Install new front sway bar and bushings
--- Change the U joints (I have driveline shunt)

--- Have the AC coolant charge checked
--- Install new CVs (my outer boots are torn and no longer contain bearings)
--- Install new rotors and brake pads
--- Swap in my Aisin Manual hubs
--- Install the Yakima roof racks
--- Have the stereo seated properly (upgrade the speakers too?)
--- Grease the wheel bearings

--- Reverse Switch
--- Skid Plates
--- Coil Pack Ugrades

-Extended to do things
--- Rear cupholder
--- Rear gate handle
--- Trunk handle bars
--- Map lights
--- Compass/temperature reader
--- New bumpstops
--- Fabricate rear lock/unlock button in trunk area
--- Custom Y pipe and new muffler

--- Snorkel
--- Bumper guard / new bumpers????
--- Upgrade to HD tie rods
--- Leather Steering Wheel

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
August Updates:

Ran my first Off Road trip off Cleghorn. Ran fantastic.

Had the shop go over the AC again and fixed all of the leaks.

Tightened up the throttle cable. I'm going to clean out the rubber at the upper end by the TB.

It's still stalling. Contemplating replacing the IACV with an OEM from one of the Acura/Honda outfitters.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
September Update:

It's a new year, time for a new list:

- Things to Complete the Drivetrain Build:
--- Driveline shunt, which might be Backlash Clunk - I changed the ujoints, and the mounts feel solid, so I'm going to tear into the rear axle to see what's loose. Wish I had money for gearing upgrades or lockers right now.
--- TPS - I think I still have a little delay in my throttle. Going to get a in wire tester to see if the resistance readings are correct.
--- IACV - I swear, I've changed it three times now. It still stalls at lights, even when I'm downshifting I to them. I am considering buying the $100 OEM one from The Acura parts Whole seller.
--- The AC belt needs a little tightening

- Other Mechanical Or non Interior Things
--- There's some play in my steering yet. I think I've maxed out the screw. Going to look into the idler arm and other items before rebuilding the box and column. I've rebuilt everything else at this point. The column doesn't sound too bad.
--- I have a light bar attached to a roof rack that I need to wire in with a plug
--- Reverse Switch
--- Paint Transfer Case Skid Plate
--- Get windshield chips filled
--- Steering alignment
--- Replace hood release cable
--- Replace front right wheel well rubber
--- Replace front right wheel plastic

-Interior Things
--- Rear cupholder
--- Front Driver's pillar grab bars
--- Housing for trunk door lock switch
--- Cut hole is stock rear gate plastic for open handle
--- Install rear stock DC power socket in trunk
--- Troubleshoot driver's seat heater
--- Fix speedometer
--- Increase blower fan speed
--- Extra outlets

-The Small Upgrades List
--- New Rotors and Brake Pads
--- New Ball Joints
--- Steel brake line
--- Snorkel
--- Grille guard

-The Perfectionist Upgrade List
--- HD Torsion Bars
--- Revo Low Range Gears
--- 4.77 or 5.38 diffs
--- Lockers front and back (preferably e lockers)
--- Wiper lights
--- Ismcher Power swaybar disconnect
--- more lights
--- Upgraded speakers
--- Paint and body touch up
--- international stock bull bar
--- Custom bumpers
--- second battery

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I've found headlight wipers, stock fog lights, and a G80 stock LSD.

Installing all of this soon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
November update:

Got LSD installed, which solved a ton of the driveline shunt. Drove to Moab and SW CO, made it there and back. Tackling front ball joints, rotors, and pads. ALSO found an ARB front bumper and snorkel at the yard. Installing those soon as well.

--- Driveline shunt, which might be Backlash Clunk - I changed the ujoints, and the mounts feel solid, so I'm going to tear into the rear axle to see what's loose. Wish I had money for gearing upgrades or lockers right now.
--- TPS - I think I still have a little delay in my throttle. Going to get a in wire tester to see if the resistance readings are correct.
--- IACV - I swear, I've changed it three times now. It still stalls at lights, even when I'm downshifting I to them. I am considering buying the $100 OEM one from The Acura parts Whole seller.

--- There's some play in my steering yet. I think I've maxed out the screw. Going to look into the idler arm and other items before rebuilding the box and column. I've rebuilt everything else at this point. The column doesn't sound too bad.
--- I have a light bar attached to a roof rack that I need to wire in with a plug

--- Reverse Switch
--- Steering alignment

-Interior Things
--- Rear cupholder
--- Fix speedometer
--- Extra outlets

-The Small Upgrades List
--- New Rotors and Brake Pads --> Actively upgrading
--- New Ball Joints --> Actively upgrading
--- Steel brake line
--- Snorkel --> Actively upgrading
--- Grille guard --> Actively upgrading

--- HD Torsion Bars
--- Revo Low Range Gears
--- 4.77 or 5.38 diffs
--- Lockers front and back (preferably e lockers) that g80 should be fine for now
--- Wiper lights
--- more lights
--- Upgraded speakers
--- Custom bumpers
--- second battery

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
December update:

I installed the upper and lower moog ball joints, replaced the cv cups on the drivers side, replaced the front rotors and pads, cranked the torsion bars a couple rotations, installed the ARB bumper, but need to adjust the height, installed and wired headlight wipers, but they don't work, so I need to sort through the wiring, changed the started in the alignment shop parking lot, and got an alignment. I've played around with the throttle plate a bit, thinking maybe my idle was too low, but I'm still stalling.

I am getting it smogged soon. I hope it passes with the idle where it's at. It sometimes runs at 2k for some reason.

--- Reverse Switch
--- Steering alignment

-Interior Things
--- Rear cupholder
--- Fix speedometer
--- Extra outlets

-The Small Upgrades List
--- New Ball Joints

--- Steel brake line
--- Grille guard

--- HD Torsion Bars
--- Revo Low Range Gears
--- 4.77 or 5.38 diffs
--- Lockers front and back (preferably e lockers) that g80 should be fine for now
--- Wiper lights --> installed, need to troubleshoot
--- more lights
--- Upgraded speakers
--- Custom bumpers

--- second battery

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
January update:

It passed smog!

I was hunting down the stalling issue/erratic idle issue. I pulled the IACV plug after letting it warm up, and it was still surging idle using the fuel trims. I noticed at some point that my PCV hose was collapsing, and graduated it to fuel injection fuel line. This seems to have helped the erratic idle, but I'm still stalling.

I dropped the Trooper off at the shop for them to look at 1) the AC freezing up, 2) the stalling issue, 3) a possible bad ground on one of my rear stop lights, 4) installing my reverse switch on the MAU5. I had cleaned a few leaves out of the blower fan before dropping it off, and then it wasn't freezing over. The shop guessed that the stalling issue might be a timing tooth off, but the engine runs pretty good, and I am really apprehensive about tearing into the engine to look at the chains and belt that I timed when the engine was on the stand. I need to wire my reverse switch now. Also, it's still leaking oil from somewhere when under pressure.

On Steering - The alignment shop really fixed up a ton of my loose steering. The boot on the column is torn, so I will tackle a refreshment on the steering eventually. The play is so little right now, that it's not a big problem.

--- Reverse Switch
--- Steering alignment

-Interior Things
--- Rear cupholder
--- Fix speedometer
--- Extra outlets

-The Small Upgrades List
--- New Ball Joints

--- Steel brake line
--- Grille guard

--- HD Torsion Bars
--- Revo Low Range Gears
--- 4.77 or 5.38 diffs
--- more lights
--- Upgraded speakers
--- Custom bumpers

--- second battery

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
March update:

I'm saving up for a OBD1 scanner tool so I can read my live data to see why it keeps stalling.

My transfer case drain plug is stripped. I have a amazon repair kit on the way. I'll be hunting down engine oil leaks after that.

Got 90% of my dash button light bulbs replaced, including the AC one. Also installed the DC trunk outlet. I've tried fixing the speedometer to no victory. I installed the front driver's handles.

I had to put sealant at the top of the windshield to keep water out.

Will post some pictures soon.

--- Reverse Switch
--- Steering alignment

-Interior Things
--- Rear cupholder
--- Fix speedometer
--- Extra outlets

-The Small Upgrades List
--- New Ball Joints

--- Steel brake line
--- Grille guard

--- HD Torsion Bars
--- Revo Low Range Gears
--- 4.77 or 5.38 diffs
--- more lights
--- Upgraded speakers
--- Custom bumpers

--- second battery

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I,too, had a problem with my '95. Purchased in the spring and drove to Florida. Kept getting hot and even blew out the heater core. Ugggh. Been driving in the cold Florida weather and was not too bad. Mechanic replaced thermostat. I drove a dozen miles and ran a-ok. No heat problems. Felt good and then the short drive home . ... had to pull over as I again saw anti-freeze on passenger side. I finally located a certified engine and had it installed. Problem solved. Apparently, I had something in the block or ???. I have driven 2200 miles and no problem other than blown heater core. In my research I found this particular model did have some heat problems but never found a solution.
This Trooper had 84 k miles as per CarFax. Nice and clean. The replacement engine was certified to having only 74k miles so I should be able to keep and drive this Paris to Kadar model for a long time. Car had no radiator shield and I was lucky to find one and installed it only yesterday. Good luck with your trooper. Howard Patton

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I'm long past the overheating problem. Blew up the engine and rebuild a better one. :) I'm glad that you got yours fixed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Adding some long overdue photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Adventures and the wiring of the stock switch to an aftermarket light wiring setup

Attachments

101 - 120 of 135 Posts