Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had this problem ferreted out, but I was mistaken. As long as there is no load on electrical system, all seems fine with the charging system (no brake and battery light come on and volt meter shows 14 volts). Within a short period of time after I turn on the headlights or turn signal, the brake and battery lights come on and charging drops off on the volt meter to around 12 volts. The brake/bat lights sometimes stay on steady, sometimes they flash....and sometimes I can drive for 5 min or so and no brake/bat light. I checked for loose connections, shook all the plugs and can't replicate it. Checked belt tension, checked the pulley and all are fine. Had the alternator checked out and it was fine. Has a new battery as well....this is starting to drive me crazy! Is there a relay I should look at somewhere...I can hear one click under the dash near the hood release, but can't figure out where it is.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
My stock answer for weird electrical problems like this is to look for a bad ground somewhere. Where? Now that's the trick...

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Bad ground or your regulator is weak and can't keep up with the additional load. Also check the belt and the connections from the alternator to battery. Could also be the specific fusible link.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
If it's a ground wire, you will need to find the ground wire from those warning lights and to where it mounts (probably under the hood somewhere). Other lights, instruments, etc may very well share the ground. There could be 2 or more ground wire splices into that particular "master ground" circuit. If everything else on the instrument panel seems ok, I would trace that particular ground wire (warning lamps) to where it splices into the master or central ground circuit. I'm leaning toward alternator or the wire/connections from it to the battery. Though not sure, I believe those lights hot wire comes from the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts