Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it's not compLETEly organized, as there are a few parts that haven't been dismantled (in the second picture, near the bottom right) and the picture doesn't include all of the bolts (71 total, 64 not shown, in a tray out of view in the pictures) but you can get a pretty good idea from what's here. The pictures are huge, by the way, which is why I didn't embed them in the thread.

The first picture is mainly the front section (bell housing, oil pump, overdrive clutch, 4th clutch, adapter case, etc.)

http://discodan.org/gfx/trans01.jpg

The second is mainly the back end (reverse clutch, 2nd & 3rd clutches, adapter case, valve body, servo piston, brake band, gear selector, etc.)

http://discodan.org/gfx/trans02.jpg

And the third picture is an overall shot of the whole shebang.

http://discodan.org/gfx/trans03.jpg

Once I tidy up the rear parts (picture 2) I'll get the bolts in there as well and repost, and (and) if I have enough time I may label all of the parts in Paintbrush or something.

They've been cleaned and degreased, so now they just need to be REgreased and assembled again. Scary part of all of it is, through dismantling the whole transmission, I can look at these pictures and identify almost every part from memory. Granted, having the Service Manual helped immensely, but at this point, I've basically got it organized in my mind. Like I said, scary.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've basically got it organized in my mind. Like I said, scary
Alrighty there, Rainman :wink:

That's quite a orderly and clean parts layout. I'm impressed with your willingness to take on a project like this. Your pictures further solidify my resolve to buy a low milage salvege tranny when I finally get around to replacing mine :p

Keep the pics coming,

Andre

·
Registered
99 Posts
Daggone - thats a lotta parts! You need my two year old to walk by and start scattering things everywhere.

Better not leave the doors open, a strong wind will blow in, scatter the parts, and you'll never get 'em all back together right!

In all seriousness. What odds do you give yourself that you can put it all back together and get it working? Ive had motors apart to every bearing and bolt, but it didnt look half as bad as that! Motors have lots of multiple similar items I guess. Then again, it was a 1969 MGB motor, not a whole lotta parts to begin with.

·
Registered
297 Posts
These 4L30-E transmissions look too confusing and unfriendly to rebuild. I've rebuilt a few 4L60-E, 700R4 and THM 350 and I like all those a lot more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer the questions:

1.) The guy at the transmission shop said he gave me a 25% chance of getting it back together and running correctly the first time. That was probably the only way he could have guaranteed that I'd do it right the first time. I'm not going to do it incorrectly though, so I guess that means it'll get done right. Simple as that, really. I'm following the directions from the FSM and it's either I put things back together the way they're supposed to go, or I don't, but it's like a puzzle where the pieces really only fit one way and the diagrams make everything pretty easy. Of course this is my opinion, and it's not like it isn't incredibly time consuming.

2.) It's actually the basement floor. But that carpet is nearly 20 years old so I'm not THAT worried about it. I disassembled the majority of the transmission in my garage, then brought it home in smaller pieces (smaller than the whole transmission) and cleaned it off here.

Anyway, I'll update on whether or not it actually works once it's back together.

·
Registered
808 Posts
WOW :shock:

I think I'll stick with sticks, alot less parts to work with :lol:

Good luck on getting it all back together

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so actually, the hardest part of putting it back together is figuring out how to HOLD the assembly while working on it. I've rigged up a sort of make-shift transmission clamp that I've jury-rigged using a 12" bolt and some nuts and ... other pieces of metal. Anyway, I've got that attached to an engine stand, so it SHOULD hold the weight of the transmission. For now. But I'd really like to get one of those semi-circular transmission holding fixtures for the future. Anyone got one they're not using?

Edit: Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4617319621

Except cheaper. I keep thinking there must be a cheap way to manufacture something like that, but I can't figure out what I'd use for the rounded piece of metal.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The shear amount of parts, and small parts at that, would scare the crap out of me. Much less the fact I've been told by an Isuzu tech that most of the rebuilt units that have been rebuilt at a typical tranny shop won't last because the 4L30-E is not the same animal as a typical auto tranny. They rebuild them as such and they don't last.

I didn't ask for any further explanation because I didn't plan on having mine rebuilt nor would I plan on doing it myself either.

Good luck on the rebuild. I hope all goes well.

Joe

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Did you have the nerve to even count all of those parts? There must be hundreds :!: Scary.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Since you have things all taken apart, and available, can you tell me what the bolt circle spacing is on the stock Isuzu flex plate to torque converter? I think the measurement will be the diameter of the circle.

I'm working out the details of swapping to a TH700R4 rather than replace the 4L30E, and this is one of the little details I need to figure out.

Thanks,
Andre

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm. I assume you're talking about the diameter of the imaginary circle that runs through the centerline of all three torque-converter-to-flywheel bolts? If so, you'll have to give me a little time as I've got the new torque converter in its box in my car and the flywheel is still on the vehicle at my garage (about 12 miles from here) but I'll see if I can't get a measurement for you.

Also, for those who want to rebuild a transmission (or who would bother thinking about it), I used some steel pipe from home depot to fabricate a transmission holder, with a couple of T-intersections and curves, etc. It seems to hold so far. Anyway, back to the basement.

Oh, and fortunately, the carpet in the basement is nearly the same color as fresh transmission fluid!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hmm. I assume you're talking about the diameter of the imaginary circle that runs through the centerline of all three torque-converter-to-flywheel bolts?
I would think so. The reference I found gave the "converter bolt circle". If you get the chance, that would be a big help.

Andre

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still haven't gotten to the shop yet, so I'll get those measurements for you as soon as I can. In the meanwhile, assembly seems to be coming along quite well. Sorry I didn't take any in-between shots. The HARDEST part, quite honestly, was compressing all of those stupid spring plates, and compressing them without damaging the covers in the process. Took a lot of improvisation. Anyway, here's the update:

http://discodan.org/transmissionary2.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.