Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought the vehicle, high miles (194K) but only $1200 and in good shape so i said what the hell. handsome truck.

anyway, during my test drive i encountered no problems at all. ran absolutely perfectly.

after i purchased and got a few miles down the road, the truck bucked/hesitated under partial throttle, then would catch up and surge forward with plenty of power and RPM's. vehicle smoked alot during this time, white smoke. this continued for about 2 miles, then:

"check engine" light comes on. all hesitation stops and car returns to normal. no smoke. then about 10 miles later, it returned to hesitating and surging.

>> PCV is not believed to be correct (it doesnt fit right)
>> previous owner overfilled oil by a quart (i have yet to drain and replace)
>> plugs just replaced with NGK's (previous ones had wrong gap causing them to foul and engine to run poorly)
>> engine shakes a little but not excessively
>> has faint lifter noise which i understand is normal. i plan to use zero weight when i swap the oil.
>> vacuum line from airbox to intake was off when i got the truck home. reattaching it didnt make a difference.

would those two first conditions cause this intermittent problem? i tend to think my fuel pressure regulator is faulty, as the engine seems starved when it hesitates. but would that failure mode be one that can revert to nominal operation?

thanks in advance for advice - need this vehicle for holiday travel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also important to note:

since flawless test drive to problematic drive home, plugs were changed to champions which didnt work, THEN NGK's which did. alot of fiddling around was done during this process, which is why that vac line was off.

sure would appreciate some ideas.

·
Registered
894 Posts
What code(s) is the computer setting? IIRC 95 is before OBDII so you have a connector to jumper and flashes to count. It sure is easier to diagnose your problem if we at least know what the computer thinks it is.

That being said, a common acceleration problem is as simple as a bad fuel filter. Since you really don't know the maintenance history you probably should change it in any event.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Out of curiosity, I ran this vehicle thru the Kelley Blue Book online facility.

http://www.kbb.com

A '95 Rodeo LS with 195,000 miles in good condition - private party sale comes in at $3385.00

He sold it for $1200.00 or almost a 1/3 of what Kelley says it's worth.

I may be wrong, but you may have bought yourself a lemon.

Here's to hoping the seller simply underestimated the cars value out of
ignorance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
isuzu95 said:
Out of curiosity, I ran this vehicle thru the Kelley Blue Book online facility.

http://www.kbb.com

A '95 Rodeo LS with 195,000 miles in good condition - private party sale comes in at $3385.00

He sold it for $1200.00 or almost a 1/3 of what Kelley says it's worth.

I may be wrong, but you may have bought yourself a lemon.

Here's to hoping the seller simply underestimated the cars value out of
ignorance.
the truck came from a dealer, believe it or not. was a trade-in that the dealers apparently didnt give much for, and consequently resold it it cheap. i talked them down from $2400 because there was no radio, smoke came from underneath (which i knew was tranny pan gasket which i replaced today and now no smoke of course) and the lifters made noise (which i knew wasnt anything serious)

anyway, i changed out the PCV and swapped oil for Mobil 1 0W-30, changed tranny fluid/filter (it was low) and the truck has yet to repeat its hesitation experienced on the drive home. runs as well if not better than during the initial test drive (man it really does have some balls!) smooth shifting, idles smooth, etc...

i drained probably 7 quarts of oil from the crankcase, if not more. this had to be the cause of the smoke and hesitation. if not, then the tranny was hunting for a gear because the fluid was low. looks like it's as simple as that.

now on to finding the squeaks coming from the frontend (door sills were noisy, too, before white lithium grease) and the high-speed vibration (hopefully a tire/wheel out of balance)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts