Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see if anyone has had THIS problem...

When I bought my Rodeo, the owner told me the AC Wasn't working. For $1000, I kinda expected this, but like most of us, I tried to turn it on anyway thinking MAYBE he didn't know what he was doing! Well guess what? It didn't work. Go figure.

Well since I don't have time to first check the "logical" problems, I went for the throat. I unplugged the compressor wiring and ran 12v directly to it. *****...*****..*****... the clutch works just fine. So, I decided to put freon in it. I used r134 with one of those cheap hose attachments. First, I cranked the motor and began to unload the freon. As it was charging, I hooked up the compressor to allow it to take it in OR maybe show me a leak. Well the can got cold, telling me it WAS in fact charging the system, so I turned the blower motor on to see if the air was getting cooler. Nope. I then (with motor still running) said "oh well" and disconnected the freon can and hose. What happened next is what puzzled me. The freon GUSHED out if the inlet valve! Beforehand, I had checked to make sure the little valve was opening and closing properly, and it was.

Summer in Mississippi is pretty rough and I'd REALLY love cheap AC....any ideas?? Lol

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
if it were me i would get the freon out of the system , just push in the fill valve a few seconds , then stop, then repeat, keep doing that until the old freon is out, always have-- the engine running--air on --blower on high when doing anything with the ac , get a couple cans of freon and put freon in the system , after one can start checking the ac vents , i don't know how much freon the system takes but i am guessing about 1 1/2 cans , its better to have less freon than too much, as too much will lock up the system , there are low and high pressure shut off switches that will also shut the ac off.

drain the system slowly as you don't want the lub oil to be pumped out. do not put the freon can upside down as that will put liquid in .

have everything connected as it should be.

i know very little about ac systems , but a set of gauges from autozone will help a lot , they will allow you to keep checking the low/high pressure as you fill it. a lot of people say to change the filter /dryer if the ac has had problems.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Try to find the freon that has a dye in it to show the leak. I suggest that you avoid the stuff with the stop leak. Somehow that stop leak stuff has always caused me more problems than it was worth in everything I've ever tried to use it in.

With the system not working, its a good idea to have someone pull vacuum on it and see if it holds the vacuum. If it doesn't, then you know you have a leak and not a bad component. Its the only way I know to tell the difference between a simple leak and a bad compressor/dryer/etc. As far as I know, the engine doesn't need to be running to do a vacuum check.

Since you say you added freon and it still didn't work, chances are its a bad part. Could have leaked out all the oil and now it needs major repairs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.