Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would say about every 6 starts or so, it takes about 15 seconds of steady starter cranking to get it started. You can hear a slight "cough" while cranking on it. Once it starts it idles and drives just fine. EGR valve holds pressure and all vacuum lines appear to be in good shape. Alternater reads good and no elect issues while its running.

How to check and possibly adjust the timing, it has three coils up front but no distributor. What should the timing be set at? thanx.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Check your fuel pressure, that sounds alot like a fuel pump.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If there's a way to "adjust" ignition timing on this engine - I would love to see the post.

Ignition timing was adjustable when there were "distributors" that loosened and rotated CC or CCW.

Doubt that faulty valve timing is the culprit.

Another possibility is the crankshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I replied to this. Where'd it go?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
catfuzz...no idea, i never seen ur post sorry :(

I did however replace the fuel pressure regulator (not as easy as it looks). So far so good...starts, idles and drives just fine. I just hope it dont give me issues again after several cranks down the road. If I had to guess, the regualtor looked original (16 yrs old). If I have more of the same issues, i will repost here. Thank u for ur help again and I am open to all sugestions at any time :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for your thread. I'm hopefully doing the same thing this weekend with my FPR. Mine seems to be temp related. Were you smelling fuel after stopping before you swapped the FPR?

(nice looking rig BTW)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never noticed any fuel smell at all...just a little white smoke after cranking on it for a while. Now it seems to start quick and idle n drive fine. It isnt really hard to change, just alot to take off and hard to get to bolts. Took me about an hour or so. Good luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts