Isuzu SUV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Haha awesome.

That light on a pole is great in that it's an actual fishing pole. Brilliant!
Thanks for the heads up on the video editing. I've always been interested in that kind of stuff, but now life has taken a turn where that knowledge might be useful for me so I'll look into it.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Smog check was due, and they put me in the "star certified" category since I failed first time when I got the truck. Whatever that means. I lowered my idle a bit, and removed my FPR mod. The guy said the numbers were very low, similar to a new car. Success

We went out to try out a new trail, and having never done it I ended up tagging along with a couple jeep groups. I was the only person with tires below 35s. This little truck kicked some serious ***, this was my first time doing a proper Sierra Nevada trail compared to the groomed off road parks we have near us. What I learned though is it's time for sliders and skid plates, I got a little dent on my rocker panel but it could've been a lot worse. Huge thanks for those jeep guys and gals who took me under their wing and showed me the lines and spotted me.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Automotive tire

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
I'm not even sure I'd HIKE those trails. Never been one to do serious vehicle beating (well, except for vehicles that were about to go to the crusher - the '63 Nova convertible and the pine tree) Dennis

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Yeah I've been on 4.56s for a while. It was still not enough for one of the obstacles, I had to ride the piss out of the clutch just to keep the wheel speed slow enough. I'm super close to pulling the trigger on some revolution gears, although I probably wouldn't install them for a while. Kind of a scary looking process

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The Revolution gears are what I was asking about. If I can do it, you can do it too. Just take your time. I made a thread about it, and others have before me. Lorenzo and a few others are a big help. The front locker and revolution low gears are far and away the best money I've spent on my Trooper.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
It's that big of a difference? That's reassuring. One of the jeep guys from yesterday was trying to talk me out of it, saying that those small number changes aren't worth it. Different mindsets I guess. I'll gladly take any decrease in crawl speed I can get, and we don't have the luxury of infinite aftermarket like those guys have.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Seriously? All my friends tell me that the gears aren't low enough. They sure could be lower, but they are worlds better than the factory 2:1. My buddy has 4.7:1 in his Toyota, and when we go hunting and drive around on the fire roads in low, he's in 4th gear everywhere just trying to do 5-10 mph because his gears are so low. As a primarily rock crawler, that's great, but if you use your truck for more general stuff like camping and hunting like I do, I find the 3:1 to be a great middle ground. For $500 (less than a set of nice tires), you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Yeah they were pretty serious crawlers. The dude owns a shop and they regularly do the Rubicon. He's all like "just throw an atlas on it". Pretty sure those cost 2x what I paid for the truck.

For sure, I think I'll pull the trigger. I'd hate to miss out on the sale they're doing right now.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Snapped another CV Axle (passenger side, not the one I just replaced), and seized a caliper to the point where I had to drive home with vice grips on the brake line. But uh, here's the video. Also features lots of Amigo and Trooper action, but I figure I'd just post it here.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You sure do look like you're having fun out there. I'm jealous of your video editing skills and I think your videos get better every time. I was going to make a Moab video compilation, but it will be way more boring. How do you go about getting music onto a YouTube video? I feel like there must be a list of free license songs since I see a lot of different videos use the same song (not your video). I particularly liked the Full House section. Have you ever seen Too Many Cooks?

What was the situation that had you break the axle on the truck?

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
Before you commit to really getting into the editing, upload a blank video with the song(s) you want and upload it as private. It will do a copyright check on it, and I'd say that 95%+ of music will let you use it but they will take the ad money from you. Very rarely do you find a song they won't let you post at all. The big channels care about the ad money so that's why the royalty-free music.

I broke the CV off camera. Right before the clip at 1:05. There was a giant loose boulder in the main line through that section that wasn't there two weeks ago that was giving me trouble, and eventually I had to back off and try the other line, which is where I beached myself on the frame in 3WD and had to winch myself out. It seemed to have the same failure point as the last rock auto axle on the bearing cage.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
The first one was the cage itself, this one I'm pretty sure it is too because it had the same amount of play as last time until it eventually fully fell apart. They were both "trakmotive" brand off rock auto. I've got two Napa ones coming in the mail, one for a trail spare. Once I get to installing that I'll take apart the rock auto one and see what happened

And yeah I've seen that Too Many Cooks skit haha, we were talking about it when coming up with ideas.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Welded on some rock sliders. It was a do it yourself kit, 12 welds total. I got a little greedy placing them millimeters close to the body and they rub when the body mounts compress over bumps, so I'm gonna have to do another 1/2" body lift on the cab which I wanted to do anyway. For whatever reason my bed is taller than my cab.

I also cut, painted, and reinstalled the grill today which I had been putting off for a while.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light
Grille Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread

These new dents inspired this purchase

101 - 120 of 133 Posts