Isuzu SUV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
I definitely got the truck on 2 wheels last year. With the open diff I really had to "throw" the truck around to get it to rotate. Learned my lesson on that one and only do it on smooth dirt now, pretty much just fireroad corners. Honestly a roll bar or cage for the truck isn't too far out of the picture.

There was a point in my life where I would go through a set of tires every two weeks in my drift car. Local tire shop had my number and he would text me whenever they got some old tires in my size. Free tires, and even had a tire mounter in my backyard.

Edit: forgot to mention, I installed a hill assist inspired by a post I saw on the forums. Bike brake T'd into the throttle cable.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle White Steering part

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The first time I met one of my wheeling buddies, he let me drive his EB and it had a hand throttle. He thought it was a good idea to mention what its function was mere seconds before I would have grabbed it at full throttle and thrown it into gear. I just assumed it was like putting a Saab into reverse where you have to pull up on the shifter to get it into reverse. Would have been a wild ride.

Are you planning on eliminating the clutch start function as well?

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
I like both of those ideas. I couldn't imagine having a hand throttle on any vehicle my wife and daughter might have to drive at some point.
I have the cable tension set up so that a full pull on the lever is just the right amount for a hill start. So I just squeeze it and don't have to think about modulating it or anything. It's not enough throttle to get you in trouble, just like 5-10%. I had it set up so it had more range but was having problems with it sticking. And to be honest I kind of like it set up like this.

Engine problems are no fun. I've been super lucky, but also I've spent a lot of time making sure that this thing runs perfect that I don't post about. Still it behaves in strange ways sometimes, so I installed a turbo boost controller on the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator. What this allows me to do is have a tiny amount of control of the air fuel ratio by turning a knob. Haven't had to adjust it since installing, but I like knowing I have the option if it starts running a little lean again.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Inevitable happened, broke a CV axle on the trail. Time for a napa axle, might order two so I can have a backup. Also gotta do the brakes, and the power steering keeps giving out under load even after tightening the belt. Damn, I was enjoying getting a lot of wheeling in and not having to wrench

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I was pulling out of an obstacle and didn't realize two trucks were coming where I wanted to exit, so I had to exit the other way and let them pass. So then I had to do a u turn on the trail, and as I was reversing at full steering lock I heard a loud snap noise as the front hit a bump. Followed by a binding/popping noise every few seconds of driving. Looked underneath and the outer boot was all twisted looking, and the axle had half an inch or more of play in every direction. I'm not too familiar of what the outer joint looks like on the inside, is there like a c-clip kind of like how the inner joint has inside the soup can that could've failed? I didn't spend too much time looking at it, was just focused on getting off the mountain in 2wd

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The outer slides into the knuckle, so if you've got play, it probably snapped the shaft. There isn't enough room for it to just pull out. That's assuming I understand what you're asking.

So am I understanding you right that the axle seems to have broken just from you reversing and not really while under much tension? Since I have the same locker, and everyone else that has had one says they break axles all the time, I'm really trying to get a feel for what people are doing when the axles go, mostly so I can try and be aware and avoid those situations.

I'm under the impression that the most common break is from having a tire spinning, and then putting weight on the tire and rapidly stopping it.

I think I also broke my axle in reverse. I was stuck on this obstacle, and I couldn't really turn the steering wheel side to side. I was trying to back out and get the steering wheel to turn to see if it would grab. I don't think that the wheel even rotated when the axle broke. I might have even caught my break on video, but you can't really see anything if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Yeah it was nothing crazy, something I could've done easily with open diffs. No wheelspin, just backing the back end of the truck onto a not too steep hill on the side of the trail. Steering wheel turned left all the way, and the left side axle popped. Had no other noises or clues of problems before that.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Well at least there weren't guns. Nothing wrong with guns, just alcohol and gunpowder aren't a good mix. 4 x 4s, dirt, woods, use at your own discretion. "Hey y'all, watch this....BAM! Dennis

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
What is the light on a pole thing?
What video editor do you use?

Also, a few months ago I asked you if you liked your Amigo or the pick-up better, and back then the answer was the Amigo because it was a smoother ride, had more power, and felt more capable. Has that changed now that you've gotten the locker and winch and stuff?

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
The light on a pole is pretty awesome. I got it from a friend, and it just hooks directly to a 12v battery. I just bring my boat battery which doubles as phone charging for the weekend.

I'm not sure exactly what brand it is but this should give you the idea

I'm using Vegas Pro. I just kind of get an idea in my head and then YouTube how to pull it off. Ie the cartoon originally had a blue sky background and I used that to "green screen" the characters into my shot

The amigo still has way better road manners, even more so now that the truck is sway bar-less. And the truck still struggles getting up hills on the highway, even with the new gears. But off road the truck is definitely the better one now. I was able to out wheel my friends fully locked Rubicon on 35s in the snow, due to him not knowing to drive but it was still an ego boost.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts