Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter just happened across a 95 LS DOHC Trooper that was for sale for 400 bucks. It ran, all electrical options worked, interior is nice (little dirty), paint is so-so. It sounded HORRIBLE, worst tapping/ticking ever!

So now it's parked in my yard, and I started tearing into it last night. Took the timing belt covers off, re-fastened the fan pulley, and fired it up to discover the timing belt flopping loose like crazy. So in the next few weeks putting a new belt/tensioner on it, and giving it a tune-up. We'll see how this goes.

I'll post pics tomorrow, got dark to quickly last night!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Eager to see the results!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yeah, I think the ol' tensioner may have scored you a deal... 8)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.....been doing this wet stuff falling from the sky thing, been to long since I seen rain, so no pics yet.

And man is that crankshaft pulley bolt a serious PITA!!! Got everything down to the crank pulley, and bout dropped my a-hole on the ground trying to pop it loose. Called it a night and will try again tomorrow with a cheater pipe!

Timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, and seals) and all three belts (A/C, Alt, and Power Steering) was around 200 bucks.......kinda pricey, but still not super bad.

Will get pics as soon as the usual drought re-commences!!!

edit: while looking around the engine bay, noticed the G-80 code also.......man is this thing going to look good with some better tires mounted!!!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Jerry Lemond taught me a little trick to break that crankshaft pulley bolt loose - use a breaker bar and deep well socket, and lay the end of the breaker bar on the steering box. Now bump the starter (very briefly). He said they did it that way all the time, and it worked like a charm for me when I had to change the timing belt tensioner.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
BigSwede said:
Jerry Lemond taught me a little trick to break that crankshaft pulley bolt loose - use a breaker bar and deep well socket, and lay the end of the breaker bar on the steering box. Now bump the starter (very briefly). He said they did it that way all the time, and it worked like a charm for me when I had to change the timing belt tensioner.
I did something similar to that when I was a young man, only in my version, it was a Dodge 440 in a Roadrunner, and I was holding the breaker bar, rather than laying it on the frame or steering box.

Results were 3 broken fingers, a badly sprained wrist and bruised forearm, and a few bruised ribs. And a valuable lesson learned, of course.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Rhodes said:
I did something similar to that when I was a young man, only in my version, it was a Dodge 440 in a Roadrunner, and I was holding the breaker bar, rather than laying it on the frame or steering box.

Results were 3 broken fingers, a badly sprained wrist and bruised forearm, and a few bruised ribs. And a valuable lesson learned, of course.
Holding against the starter?! By hand?! ouchy!!

~psguardian

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yeah, good clarification, do not be holding the breaker bar when you do this.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BigSwede said:
Good to know! I read something similar on here last night, and will try that this evening, but I'll label and dis-connect the coil wires just in case.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here are some pics as promised, it still needs a major cleaning inside and out, but pretty fair shape overall for 400 bucks I think.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok.....did the breaker bar against the fenderwell to bust the crank pulley bolt loose and it worked as advertised. Then packed it in, because somehow I got talked into going with my Mom to look at a 2001 Trooper for sale nearby. She ended up buying it for $2600.00. It is in really nice shape from the front doors back, but the hood and grill had been wrecked and the hood replaced and there is still some work to be done. I tried to talk her out of buying it and looking at a 96 LS Trooper a bit arther away, but she had to have it. Damn these Troopers seem to be multiplying rapidly around here, this last one makes four, my 86 two door, the wifes 90, the daughters 95, and now my Mom's 01.

·
Registered
268 Posts
ITS THE SICKNESS. My dad was like that with older model honda accords. I think we owned 5 at one time (2 not running but for parts). Gets nuts! I just got some nice shifter nobs off of a Trooper for my rodeo. Very nice.

·
Registered
793 Posts
sammynomas said:
Ok.....been doing this wet stuff falling from the sky thing, been to long since I seen rain, so no pics yet.

And man is that crankshaft pulley bolt a serious PITA!!! Got everything down to the crank pulley, and bout dropped my a-hole on the ground trying to pop it loose. Called it a night and will try again tomorrow with a cheater pipe!

Timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, and seals) and all three belts (A/C, Alt, and Power Steering) was around 200 bucks.......kinda pricey, but still not super bad.

Will get pics as soon as the usual drought re-commences!!!

edit: while looking around the engine bay, noticed the G-80 code also.......man is this thing going to look good with some better tires mounted!!!
do you mind telling me where did you get the kits from?? I am looking for parts for my 93 DOHC 3.2... and one kit from Gates includes 3 seals, may I ask where does the seals go to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I have a '95 Trooper LS with the SOHC 3.2 V6. In the course of replacing the timing belt and water pump I used the "starter bump" method to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt since I didn't have access to the specialized Isuzu tool. Unfortunately, the result was the bolt head broke off. So, I'm looking for some advice on two fronts: 1. Can anyone advise on a method for removing the broken bolt shaft? 2. Where can I find a replacement crankshaft pulley bolt? Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
tnmtnbikehiker said:
Hello. I have a '95 Trooper LS with the SOHC 3.2 V6. In the course of replacing the timing belt and water pump I used the "starter bump" method to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt since I didn't have access to the specialized Isuzu tool. Unfortunately, the result was the bolt head broke off. So, I'm looking for some advice on two fronts: 1. Can anyone advise on a method for removing the broken bolt shaft? 2. Where can I find a replacement crankshaft pulley bolt? Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!
That's a rough spot! You're probably going to have to drill the bolt and put a bolt remover (EZ Out type deal) in and try to get it out that way. Make sure you soak the threads with penetrating oil. I'd recommend putting the pulley back on and fabbing up the "special" tool. Its pretty easy, just get a reasonably thick scrap piece of steel (3/16thish) thats long enough to mount to the pulley and then hit the frame rail. Drill two holes for the mounting points on the pulley; they are about 3.25" apart center to center. I made these holes M10's. Then directly between those drill a hole that a 1/2" extension can pass through. It's worked like a charm for me every time I've had to take that pulley off or put it on.

As for a new one, you may be able to find it at a local pert store? Or you can head to a local pick-n-pull style yard with your nifty new tool and pull one off another Isuzu 3.2L.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts