Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple of weeks ago, the corner lights of my speedometer burned out. the light in the center of the speedometer is the only that's lit. at night, I can't read the fuel gauge along with the tempearture gauges and any other of the corner gauges. do i need to replace a bulb inside the odmeter, a fuse or do I have to replace the entire odometer unit?

thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just replaced the instrument cluster on my 99 Rodeo. Your 95 is probably not that much different. On the back side of the cluster the various lights are located that light up the speedometer, tach, idiot lights, etc. On my 99 they just screw in. There is a little plastic assembly that holds the bulbs and this screws into the back of the cluster by each gauge etc.. Just a quarter turn or so. So the drill is to take off the dash bezel in front of the cluster, remove the screws holding the cluster in place. lean it forward so you can see the backside. Locate the various bulbs, take them out, install your replacements. I'd replace them all. bulbs are cheap. If you just replace the burned out ones, you'll get it all back together and another will go out. And you'll be doing this again.

I'm not familar with how to get the dash pieces off on a 95. One of the guys here put me in the right direction getting my 99 dash bezel off. It is fairly easy. I just took the bulbs I wanted replaced to a local auto parts store and asked for replacements. There is probably someone here who can tell you what they are so you might be able to have them on hand before you take everything off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice blue. so in a nutshell, i have to remove the odometer, look that back of it for the places where the lights go into and replace the lights? right?

thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
carlosian said:
thanks for the advice blue. so in a nutshell, i have to remove the odometer, look that back of it for the places where the lights go into and replace the lights? right?

thanks
You have the curved dash, right?
If so, here's what you do.
- Remove the 7 screws holding the black dash besel on. There are two above the instrument cluste, one above the radio, and two on each sideof the steering column.
- Pull out the ash-tray and remove the black trim around it (it will simply pull off as there are no screws securing it).
- The bezel can now be pulled off.
- Once you get it loose, you will have to disconnect the dash switches.
- Now that you have access to the intrument cluster there are 4 screws securing it. Remove these screws and you can get to the back of the cluster to replace the bulbs.

You can either buy clear bulbs and swap the green rubber sleeves to the new bulbs or buy colored ones. As Blue pointed out, you might as well replace all four while you have the dash apart.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You know, now is a good time to replace bulbs in the switches located in the dash bezel as well. The switches come out by just pressing the clips from the back side of the dash bezel and the switch will come out through the front of the dash bezel. Look on the side of the switch, if there is a circular hole in the side with a plastic holder in the middle, you can turn this a quarter turn and the bulb holder will come out. Tad has listed instructions in the hall of fame area to replace bulbs inside of switches on older Isuzus. But newer ones have the bulb access in the side of the switch so you don't have to take the switch apart. Maybe if you have the newer curved dash your switches will not have to be taken apart to replace the bulbs. The bulbs are Radio Shack Micro Lamps, #7219. I got six bulbs for around $4.00. Which did all my switches. On my 99 I also did the heater control lights. Two were located behind this unit. Before I had to bang on the dash to get them to light up. So I have all my lights replaced. Might as well do them all... It's not hard to do. :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice Canucklehead and Blue. i've replaced the stereo in this vehicle before so I'm familiar with removing the black dash frame. i just have to remove the odometer unit and look at the back to remove all the bulbs.

blue, where is the hall of fame area with the instructions on replacing the bulbs you're refering to?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts