Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
This weekend we're digging in to do most of the swap to put a DOCH block/heads into a 1995.5 Rodeo with a bad SOHC motor. We've got the donor motor pretty much complete out of a 94 Trooper with 122k, and have already done a lot of tear down on both sides.

DOHC engine is stripped of intake parts and getting cleaned up.
Trans is nearly loose, clutch throwout bearing is disengaged, and ready to strap to the trans jack to come out
SOHC engine is unbolted, heads off, and ready to pick out of the truck as soon as the trans is free

The plan seems pretty simple.

Swap all the SOHC intake parts to the DOHC block and heads.
Attach clutch/flywheel to DOHC
Put trans and engine together
Install it all in the Rodeo

There are a few question marks to fill in like exactly which parts will be used from which engine. The oil filter/oil cooler seems to be a little different but that may be due to the donor being from an Auto. The power steering pump is on the wrong side, so we'll be using the Rodeo pump/brackets. I'm not sure about the pulleys, but we have both so it should be easy to figure out. I'll be updating which parts go together and which don't as we go, or at least after its done. So far it looks like a lot of things are the same that I expected to swap out. We got the short downpipes from the exhaust with the donor, the left is the same but the right looks to be a little different angle. (Auto vs 5 spd maybe?) The exh manifolds look the same but we'll be checking everything before that engine drops in.

I'll try to add more pics as we go but here is a shot of the donor before disassembly:
20130904_203944.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few extra things that will hopefully get done along the way:

Exhaust restrictor removal (DOHC has got to breathe :p )
A LOT of cleaning
cooling/heater hose replacements
New radiator installed (already purchased)
New valve cover gaskets
Repair/replace injector harness clips missing from the Rodeo harness
Cleaning out the intake

Anyone have any other suggestions of things to do while the transplant is under way?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Very straightforward. When I did mine, the only issues were the spark plug wires and I ditched the metal breather hose from the passenger bank and just used a rubber hose.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This shows about how far we got today. Old engine out, dohc almost together.
20130907_230623.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Looks like you have a 5 speed. Let me know about your off the line driveability. Isuzu evidently changed the DOHC cams in 95 to address this issue with the manual.

·
Registered
996 Posts
With the SOHC intake it should do better off the line than a DOHC intake with the manual.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put the DOHC engine and trans into the Rodeo today as one unit. Let me just say, if you're thinking of doing it this way.... Don't. Needed a shoehorn to get the oil pan past the front axle with the transmission smashed into the top of the tunnel. It would work OK with a body lift, but all stock it's more than just a tight fit. I would take the transmission out from underneath
Only have it mounted, not all hooked up yet after

Also drilled out the exhaust restrictors. A 1 and 5/8 inch hole saw cuts the necked down section out and just leaves the top part of the pipe. The worst restriction is gone and the rest is a straight pipe. It will come out at a later date.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DOHC engine is in and started up for the first time late last night. No test drive yet but it ran smooth and quiet. The exhaust has a tad bit of an extra rumble to it. Not sure if that is from the lack of restrictors, DOHC upgrade, or no more exhaust leak at the drivers side manifold to pipe joint. Sounds good though. :)

Here are a few notes for final fitting:

Oil filter mount/oil cooler - DOHC from 94 Trooper is different and makes filter hit the steering stabilizer on the 95.5 Rodeo, used the SOHC part and it fits fine

All pulleys and brackets used from the SOHC. Power steering is on the drivers side and the DOHC had it on the pass. side. Crank pulley is different between the two. (not sure if Rodeo vs Trooper or SOHC vs DOHC)

Coil mount hits the top of the timing belt cover on the pass. side. Added a little spacer and used a slightly longer bolt to lift it up. The bottom bolt then no longer fits in the hole. So far it seems tight enough.

EGR pipe just touches the valve cover but the SOHC pipe does fit.

The pipe/mount that comes up from the block to the thermostat has an extra port on the DOHC. We used the SOHC part but the DOHC part could be used with that port plugged off.

Sensor screwed into the top of the DOHC block under the lower intake, knock sensor? Nothing like it on the SOHC. It was left in as it didn't want to come loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts