Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I have a 1995.5 Rodeo that I need to get the passenger CV axle replaced. As I was checking it out, I noticed if I'm at full lock turning left, the right tire skitters , but if I'm full lock turning right, the left tire does not. Are the CV axles always supposed to spin even in two-wheel drive? If not, should I check my auto locking hub to see if it's not disengaging? If it is supposed to always spin, is that normal?

·
Super Moderator
2,772 Posts
An alignment can make it sound like I have a locked diff? Because thats what it acts like when I turn left.
[/QUOTE
You’d have to have 4wd engaged at the transfer case for it to affect the front wheels. CV axles turning or not doesn’t make a difference. Furthermore if it were a diff issue, it would happen when turning either direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not lifted. The boot isn't torn, at least not to my knowledge. There's a chance it is. I just know there's play on the axle and I've had a couple times where I noticed my hubs had autolocked so That's why I was curious if the CV axles always turn or only turn if it's in four-wheel drive. Because I think the hub isn't unlocking

·
Super Moderator
2,772 Posts
If the hubs are working, and your t case is disengaging, the CV axles should not turn. If the hubs do not unlock, the CV shafts will turn, as will the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's my plan. But I just don't want to do it if the hub is just going to engage and wear it out really quick. I was trying to figure out if I'll need to work on the auto lock hubs too

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've been able to hold the CV axle in place with vice-grips against the control arm and then spin the wheel in the reverse direction hard and fast to unlock the stuck auto hub. Of course, you should jack the car up to try this.

·
Registered
868 Posts
What year did they go to SOTF?
I'm reasonably sure SOFT was offered starting in 1996 on LS model Troopers at least, not sure about Rodeos but I'd imagine around the same time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been able to hold the CV axle in place with vice-grips against the control arm and then spin the wheel in the reverse direction hard and fast to unlock the stuck auto hub. Of course, you should jack the car up to try this.
What I was going to try first was having my girlfriend drive it extremely slow while I look to see if the CV axle turns with it, then if it does I will do what you recommended

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'd just go ahead and put both front wheels in the air on jack stands. Then have her spin each wheel while you watch the CV axle on that side. I've found it pretty easy to test auto hub engagement and disengagement this way by spinning the front propellor shaft and wheels by hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay. I don't know much about the front so that's why I've asked. Because there is a time when I drove up to the mountain nearby, and when I stop by a gas station and I backed up I heard what I thought was hubs unlocking. Even though I know for a fact I never locked my hubs

·
Registered
868 Posts
You must have put the shift lever in 4H or 4L to do that. The front driveshaft must spin faster than the front wheels to overrun them and lock the automatic hubs. This can only happen if the back wheels slip (can be a burnout or a tiny spin). The hubs will only unlock when reversing in 2H. I'm suggesting you do all this with your hands so you can see what's happening. Also, when you spin the front driveshaft, it will sping both CV axles and then the front wheels should lock in so you'll spin them too. If you then go spin a wheel with a locked hub, it will turn the entire front axle all the way to the other CV and it should turn the wheel too if the hub is locked. Then you just need to spin the wheels in the reverse direction while the front prop shaft stays still and the hubs should unlock. Maybe this is helpful, just trying to explain how it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes that does help. I know for a fact I never went into 4 wheel drive at all. So maybe I heard something else but I thought I heard hubs unlocking. I'll be jacking it up today to look at it and I'll.keep you updated

1 - 19 of 19 Posts